Do you need a licence to sell stuff online?

Robertt8

also, how does that work with taxes? I'm assuming you need to report all that stuff just like anything else...

Robertt8 said:
also, how does that work with taxes? I'm assuming you need to report all that stuff just like anything else...

You probably need a business license from your local government (county, city, or town). They may assess a license fee, a tax on gross revenue, personal property tax, or all of the above.

You will need to register to collect & remit sales tax with your state, but only from customers in your state.

You don't have to obtain a taxpayer ID number from the Feds unless you have employees, but you will have to file a Sch. C with your 1040 to report income, and pay self-employment tax as well. This might mean quarterly estimated payments too, for both Fed and your state.

Best place to start would be town hall, they will usually have an office devoted to business licenses, and often will have state info for you there, or at least know whom to contact. You can almost always find the state info on their website too.

you don't need a business license... wow... just sell it and if you make under like 1200 I think you don't have to report any of it, if it's over, then report it and fill out the forms

Back