Do you have a blog?

Jokes aside, having a blog with ALOT of content is what is going to bring ALOT more people to your site

I don't know. I don't see that happening anymore. The music-buying crowd's overall attention span has gotten so short, they can't finish reading the title of your blog in a google search, let alone go and read the blog itself.

I suppose thats true in some instances. However google likes it when you have alot of stuff on your site. Content is key if you want your site to rank well and actually be visited. Then you can use twitter to reel people into your post with that one liner

Thanks for the replies guys.

Wow, some amusing replies too, but Jimmy, can you explain: was my post in 'publicity' off topic?.

I thought the description states... "Forum: Marketing Your Music / Publicity
What's the best way to market your music? Talk about what you're doing, what works, and what doesn't! This is the place to Show Off!!"

You seem to suggest my post is SPAM.

I started a blog - maybe not a great one - and asked how others felt about using a blog. It seemed logical to provide a link to my blog to show others what I was talking about.

It tends to happen here quickly, when the topic really has nothing to do with what the site is about.

Watch, start a thread about waxing your car for the video you are producing. Then give a link to your site showing it. SPAM...

Why should anyone yell? The great number of irrelevant comments helped put this little thread in the weekly email distribution. Can only be good for people who are interested in it.

Thanks again guys.

Hey at least no one yelled at you. :D

What's the best way to market your music? .

You have to be young, cute, and be a social media whore with a lot of "friends". That is the new "word of mouth". No one is going to read your blog. Not because it's bad, but more because it's just another blog sitting out in the vast nothingness of the interwebs. How will they find it? How does anyone know it even exists? That's the problem with blogs. They're like any other piece of creative media - hidden in cyberspace. No one knows it's there unless they're told how to find it. How do you reach all of those people? You have to be young, cute, and be a social media whore with a lot of "friends". That is the new "word of mouth".

You have to be young, cute, and be a social media whore with a lot of "friends". That is the new "word of mouth". No one is going to read your blog. Not because it's bad, but more because it's just another blog sitting out in the vast nothingness of the interwebs. How will they find it? How does anyone know it even exists? That's the problem with blogs. They're like any other piece of creative media - hidden in cyberspace. No one knows it's there unless they're told how to find it. How do you reach all of those people? You have to be young, cute, and be a social media whore with a lot of "friends". That is the new "word of mouth".
As much as I hate to admit it, I do believe this to be more accurate & true than anything else these days!

This, to me, is why we now have 'average music' or even less as the accepted 'norm' as opposed to what was once 'great music'.

Back then, it was about talent, good songs & those who could actually sing them.

Now it seems to be basically hype over substance.

"Don't look so good?

No problem! We can air brush all your photos and cake you up with 2 pounds of makeup for the stage!

Can't sing too well?

No worries! We'll make you sound good in the studio - we have 'auto tune/pitch correct'.

Haven't written any songs?

You're in luck! Those hardly matter any more.

Can't play any instruments?

Doesn't matter! You look egotistical & narcissistic enough that you'd want to be out front & center on stage anyway.

But what's that you say - you're young, preferably under 20 - AND you have a Facebook page with at least 50 people that are willing to click on 'Like' so long as they're told that others will do the same?

Well then congratulations!
You're in!
Have a seat!
We'll sign you right here & now!"

Good grief!!!:mad:

And yet can anyone of us name an actual 'so-called hit song' from even just 2-3 years ago?

I can't!

But I can name all kinds of them from 30-50 years ago.

"Don't look so good?

No problem! We can air brush all your photos and cake you up with 2 pounds of makeup for the stage!

Haven't written any songs?

You're in luck! Those hardly matter any more.

Can't play any instruments?

Doesn't matter! You look egotistical & narcissistic enough that you'd want to be out front & center on stage anyway.

And how is this new today?

And how is this new today?

You're right, but I think there is a difference. While there have always been pop idols, it's really only since the age of video and MTV that visual appeal became more important than musical talent. Back in the 70's, for example, pop stars were less "fabricated", I think. Donny Osmond, David Cassidy, The Jackson 5, etc.....all could sing, and probably had to sing well to pass whatever kind of audition they took. I think it all changed for the worst in 1980 when video killed the radio star, and then got really ridiculous when DAW's, auto-tune,etc.....made people realize that you really don't need any talent at all.

You're right, but I think there is a difference. While there have always been pop idols, it's really only since the age of video and MTV that visual appeal became more important than musical talent. Back in the 70's, for example, pop stars were less "fabricated", I think. Donny Osmond, David Cassidy, The Jackson 5, etc.....all could sing, and probably had to sing well to pass whatever kind of audition they took. I think it all changed for the worst in 1980 when video killed the radio star, and then got really ridiculous when DAW's, auto-tune,etc.....made people realize that you really don't need any talent at all.

Well said.

+1

Excellently put and well thought out, my good man.
Even the teeny and weenybop stars of yesteryear and the fabricated and created popsters could sing well and to some extent play. Many of them wrote their own songs.
In 1988, I heard Keith Richards say that in the mid 60s, the most important thing was image. I mean, in the 40s, kids didn't try to imitate blues singers' images, in the 50s, kids didn't try to dress like Berry, Presley, Fats, Jerry Lee and Little Richard. Yet when you look at many of the bands through the 60s, they had a great image {I recently read a book where Jimmy Page said of Led Zeppelin "We also wanted to look good"} - but before that came their music. It was the music that got the attention then you looked at what the band looked like because radio was so much more important then.
It's as inevitable as night following day that a more visual age with a medium like first MTV/videos {as the main way to sell a song to the listeners} then the internet that no longer breaks movements slowly and organically, will begin to become lopsided in favour of the look before the sound. And the quicker you're able to see something, the shorter one's attention span will be. It's a bit like action movies. They just get bigger, more special effecty and greenscreened. The actual stories in many of them are almost irrelevant.
Blogs have become like that for many people.

I have a blog but I don't keep it up to date because no one visits it depsite all the tags, lags, dags and content.
It's a thing of the past really.
FB et al have taken over from the role, purpose and process.

Back