david hooper reply

pattygram

to all young, old, or unsigned musicians. dont send ant of these leaches like david any money period! these people should bo in jail not sucking the blood out of unaware musicians. please, please, please this advice from a 21 year musicin. they are worse than pimps, or evengelists. and not only should they not be on these forums but should be prosocuted.

As someone who's never worked with David...

I think the key here is to understand what you're purchasing before you write a cheque. Understand that nobody can make you a star for $100 or $10,000. David's company and the many companies out there that are similar are consulting companies. They do offer a valuable service for a reasonable price, but it might not be the valuable service you think it is. Just like not even the best amplifier can make a great guitar player, even the best consulting advice isn't going to make you a lot of money if the rest of the pieces aren't in place as well.

I believe spending money on a consulting company is great if you need someone with a more business mind to help you make a plan for your project. 99% of the people making music don't have a plan, and I think it's crucial if you want to be successful. They can also introduce you to different areas of your job as a business person that maybe you hadn't thought of before, or give you leads into areas that maybe you have a shot at making some money. I mean, maybe your songs are never going to be at the top of the charts, but they might be ideal for a soundtrack in a movie or for a jingle.

If you know exactly what you want and how to get it, you probably don't need a consultant. You should spend 100% of your time getting what you want--- because afterall, you already know how to get it, right? But, regardless of whether you know how to get what you want or not, it doesn't make any progress to your own career to come on internet message boards and make an attempt to keep people from hiring him as a consultant, does it?

In a world as small as independent music, the ripoff artists don't have a hope in hell. The key to establishing a career in any industry (especially music) is to be upfront, honest, work hard, and offer a valuable service or product for the money you're charging. Looking at David's site, it seems that for $77, you get a load of information. $77 isn't that much money really, is it? I mean, if you're serious about what you're doing and really trying to make a living as a professional, $77 doesn't seem like a whole load of money to spend, even if you don't get that much out of it.

I frequently spend a couple hundred bucks on ad space that does absolutely nothing for me... so, getting a ton of information in exchange doesn't seem like that bad a deal.

"Get Rich Quick" isn't real anymore. David knows that and you should know that. In the music business, you're much better off to go with a "Do Okay After A Few Years Of Hard Work" method. It's a lot more realistic.

I hope my post here isn't perceived as an argument or challenge to your initial message. You may very well have been ripped off... in which case, I suggest you get a lawyer and prove your case to the court. If there are ripoff scammers out there, I'd love to see them get what they deserve... really. I've just never thought of David's company as one that made a career out of under-delivering or lying about what it is they provide.

pattygram said:
to all young, old, or unsigned musicians. dont send ant of these leaches like david any money period! these people should bo in jail not sucking the blood out of unaware musicians. please, please, please this advice from a 21 year musicin. they are worse than pimps, or evengelists. and not only should they not be on these forums but should be prosocuted.

... welcome to the music industry. actually, david seems rather harmless compared to a lot of the corporate music folks i've met over the years. i think his company probably actually tries to do what it says, and i just have a problem with the sales pitch on his site (a little on the late night infomercial vibe for my taste).
unrealistic expectations are part of the problem, on both sides of this fence. be wary of anyone promising you anything, and do as much as you can on your own, networking with other independent artists with the same goals. those overnight successes usually take over 10 years.
i personally, am happy and willing to help out when i can on this forum. a lot can be done outside the box of the corporate music industry, but musicians have to learn to work together, not climb over each other trying to "succeed".
peace - jv
(by the way, those are very harsh words for a service that can very easily be ignored, and if enough people ignore it, it will go away).

" Looking at David's site, it seems that for $77, you get a load of information. $77 isn't that much money really, is it? I mean, if you're serious about what you're doing and really trying to make a living as a professional, $77 doesn't seem like a whole load of money to spend, even if you don't get that much out of it."

More bullshit from the Great Mastering Engineer! If you aren't a shill for Hooper, you should be. There's nothing on Hooper's site that one cannot learn for free through research, and you bloody well know it.
As a spammer yourself, you also know that there is gold in them thar hills, if you can just entice enough unsuspecting marks to buy into your scheme. Sort of like calling oneself a "Mastering Engineer", when one is not.:D

Am I wrong in saying that that doesn't seem like a lot of money for what's being offered? I think we've all spent $80 in one night on booze, taxis, bad records, a pair of jeans... whatever. If it's totally useless information, that may be a huge ripoff... but, like I said, it doesn't seem to be total garbage from where I'm sitting.

For someone who seems so eager to do things himself, you have a really difficult time letting me run a business where I help people who are trying to do just that. Leave it be, will ya? I do the best I can with what I have and have purposely kept myself and my setup in a range that the not-so-serious musician can afford it. Exactly like going to a small home studio, hairdressing salon, accounting practice, no? Is this going to come up every time I post an idea that doesn't quite fit into your world of artistic perfection? I have my niche that I'm comfortable with, and nobody seems to be complaining but you.

I'm on here to have discussions about recording, mixing, mastering, and a bit of the music biz. I'm here as someone who wants to learn from the professionals and help the newbies. I'm not here to rip apart people's work or judge people. It has however come to my attention that you're a big asshole... but, I didn't really set out to prove that. You've just managed to cram that message into my face a few times on your own.

So, I'm a scammer, spammer, non-mastering engineer, piece of shit music business hack... and, you're an asshole. Can we just stop rediscovering this every couple weeks and move forward with our lives?

You are here to shill for your little "mastering studio", and to try to impress people with your recording expertise and massive inside knowledge of the business. I called you on it, and you called me an "asshole". That's fine. Very brave, I must say! I doubt you would say that to my face, Mr. Mastering Engineer.:D

"...you have a really difficult time letting me run a business where I help people who are trying to do just that. Leave it be, will ya?"

No, I will not. Go run your little "business" somewhere else. Anyone can easily visit your "Mastering Studio" website and see for themselves the validity of your "business".

"So, I'm a scammer, spammer, non-mastering engineer, piece of shit music business hack.."

Except for the "music business" part, I think you finally got that right.:cool:

Buffalo Bob said:
You are here to shill for your little "mastering studio", and to try to impress people with your recording expertise and massive inside knowledge of the business. I called you on it, and you called me an "asshole". That's fine. Very brave, I must say! I doubt you would say that to my face, Mr. Mastering Engineer.:D

Bob, I'd say it to your face. And I'll be happy to bring you up on stage at my next seminar for a debate, if you'd like.

But I can't...because you hide behind an alias, don't let people know who you really are, won't give out any information on yourself, etc.

Very brave, I must say.

Re: Re: david hooper reply

johneeeveee said:
... welcome to the music industry. actually, david seems rather harmless compared to a lot of the corporate music folks i've met over the years. i think his company probably actually tries to do what it says, and i just have a problem with the sales pitch on his site (a little on the late night infomercial vibe for my taste).

Don't knock the sales copy. It's there because it works. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

And by the way, I do what I promise I'll do. Go to www.indiebiz.com and read it. If you want, sign up.

Don't like it? Take advantage of the guarantee.

johneeeveee said:
unrealistic expectations are part of the problem, on both sides of this fence. be wary of anyone promising you anything, and do as much as you can on your own, networking with other independent artists with the same goals. those overnight successes usually take over 10 years.

Go to www.indiebiz.com and tell me what I am promising that I can't deliver on.

Buffalo Bob said:
There's nothing on Hooper's site that one cannot learn for free through research, and you bloody well know it.

You could spend years looking for what you think is on my site, and even if you can find it, isn't your time worth something?

They say time is money. I'd say it's more valuable than money.

If you're rather spend thousands of hours doing research on this stuff than paying me a few bucks so you can get back out playing music, be my guest.

But even if you could find out all the information I know, how about the other opportunities you'll get when you go to www.indiebiz.com and sign up?

The monthly conference calls...
The personal time on the phone with me...
The networking at our "mastermind" meetings...
The showcases...

whoa david!!!

david,
i was merely stating my opinion, and yes, although skeptical of much in this business (and rightly so), i was definitely not attacking you. i think you need to go back and read my post again with your defenses down. i'll admit i found your sales pitch a bit "cheezy", but that's just me. if it works for ya, more power to ya. it does seem a little hard sell, and you can't seem to write a post without including a link to your site. let's just agree to dissagree about our way of working in the industry.
when you reread my post in a better light, i think you'll notice that i was merely throwing my 2 cents in on the business in general, i wasn't talking specifically about you. shit, there are people practically lynching you on this thread, and you choose to pick a fight with me? just because i didn't like your sales pitch? sheeesh.
how about we forget about this crap, and just share our experiences and ideas on working in the music industry without talking about your company and site? deal? this site is about sharing info for free, not drumming up business for one's own company. what if all the engineers who give free advice on this forum did that, or if the musicians did nothing but plug their new cd? it's a matter of ethics, not whether it's effective or not. get a clue, and stop pasteing your site link on every post. i'm starting to understand why you're not making friends on this site. well, you've managed to piss off a very mellow guy (me) , and you are the proud recipient of the only unfriendly email i have ever posted on this (or any other) site.
peace - jv

I'm not hiding, Davey Poo. I've always been right up front with my spammi...er, I mean, my promotions, like

THE NEW BOOK !!!!!!

Yes, friends, The NEW BOOK IS OUT, and the Industry is all abuzz about it! Early reviews indicate that it will be THE GREATEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN ABOUT THE MUSIC BUSINESS BUSINESS! Possibly even THE GREATEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN!

We have read and compiled EVERY WORD EVER WRITTEN about the Music Business Business (not to be confused with The "Music" Business), since the BEGINNING OF TIME, and put it in an easily understood form - a "Music Business Business For Dummies"!

We can show you how to make $100 Million Dollars a Year, using some simple, time-proven methods. Why waste time (=Money) reading boring old books when you can get all this knowledge IN ONE BOOK!

LEARN - How to make a fortune with absolutely no musical talent!

LEARN - How to present yourself as a legitimate businessman!

LEARN - How to run a national promotional company from the kitchen of your double-wide!

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE ELSE!!!!!

Accept No Subsitutes! Buy THE NEW BOOK TODAY!!!!!!!

Buffalo Bob Swindell, B.S.
C.E.O.
Starmaker Records
Starmaker Demo Studios
Starmaker Mastering Suites
Starmaker Auto Body Shop
Starmaker Hair Salon
Hollywood, California
U.S.A.

Attachments

• book2.gif
    book2.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 219
Re: whoa david!!!

johneeeveee said:
david,
i was merely stating my opinion, and yes, although skeptical of much in this business (and rightly so), i was definitely not attacking you.

Nobody was attaking you either.

I'm simply stating facts and asking you to back up what you're claiming about promises not being kept. Funny how you guys can throw it out, but can't take it.

"Ok, Bob.

How about starting with your real name, web site, and links to your music."

Making demands, are we? Once again, dimwit - my credibility is not in question here. I'm not hawking anything; you are.
You really do take yourself much too seriously, Ducky. You do provide me with a constant source of amusement, though, so keep up the good work!:D

I did notice that you didn't care to reply to "pattygram", who started this thread. Yet another satisfied customer! Who's 'hiding' now, Davey?

You are a case study in pathos, but you are amusing.:cool:

Buffalo Bob Swindell
buffalobob.com
CD- Buffalo Bob - "Have You Herd?"

Buffalo Bob said:
I did notice that you didn't care to reply to "pattygram", who started this thread. Yet another satisfied customer! Who's 'hiding' now, Davey?

Did "pattygram" say he was a customer?

"Did "pattygram" say he was a customer?"

I believe it's a "she"- you know- "female"?

"to all young, old, or unsigned musicians. dont send ant of these leaches like david any money period! these people should bo in jail not sucking the blood out of unaware musicians. please, please, please this advice from a 21 year musicin. they are worse than pimps, or evengelists. and not only should they not be on these forums but should be prosocuted."

Sure sounds like a customer to me. Either that, or she's just out to get you. Sound familiar? It's called paranoia. Often goes hand-in-hand with pathos.:D

Maybe Pattygram can come back and clarify things.

Again, I'm willing to put this all out in the public. Any of you guys who can back your problems with me up with facts are more than welcome to do so here.

pattygram,

You need to learn this business you want to be in. Every professional MUST learn their industry AND their skill AND it costs them to do it EVEN IF THEY WERE TALENTED TO BEGIN WITH!

Of course the Idiot Element, Beer Joint Baritones, Amaretto Sour Sopranos, the Incapable Psychics, etc. will give me hell for suggesting it, but READ, STUDY, and LEARN the information contained in the website at http://www.vmgworldwide.com/fullsite.htm. The information is FREE for you to look at and learn from!

If you learn the information, you'll learn who you can legitimately do business with and why. You will NEVER be scammed by anyone in this industry unless you are absolutely stupid.

And NO you do NOT have to do business with VMG - take your best shot with any company that you choose. But, DO NOT expect to be handed the non-existant 'free million dollars'.

"Post a link to "She"

Thanks man. I can't post it again because it's on hold, but I appreciate the comment.

B.B. Swindell
CEO
Chief Pin Setter
Starmaker Bowling Alley
Twisted Butte, Montana

Back