Copyright/releasing music

mjbphotos

Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum for this question.

The US Copyright page says it takes a couple of months to get the copyright certificate (I do remember that when I used to do everything my snailmail, too).

Is it 'safe' to release a CD with the copyright symbol on it, even though you haven't got the paperwork back yet?

Yes, they recommend (though not required) to put the copyright notice on your material as soon as you put it in a tangible form; paper, CD, tape, etc. You own the copyright to anything you create as soon as it is in tangible form. (It isn't copyrightable if it is only in your head. You can't copyright thoughts :) )

This means as soon as you put it in a tangible form, it's yours and you should put the copyright notice on it. It's automatically copyrighted!! When you send in the paperwork, all your doing is registering that ownership of your copyrighted material with a central clearinghouse that is recognized by the courts in case there is ever an infringement litigation. The registration is effective the day the Copyright Office receives it in their mailroom, whether your envelope is opened that day or not. Or, if you file online, it is effective the day you filed.

The proper notice should be the circle C, the year, your name, and optional PRO Affiliation:
(C) 2011 Chili, BMI

hth

Back