Copyright Confusion...

To sum up. Really I think that posting yourself a copy is good for peace of mind and to have some cover. Obviously if I write a song with the stature of 'stairway to heaven' for example, you know I'm going to cover myself and make sure legally I couldn't be more covered. The fact remains if your writting these sort of songs then your not an amateur and you will most likley be playing this stuff live-(you've just covered yourself again)you aint gonna be stupid and just mail yourself a copy of a song that could give you great attention. What I said in my first post was that it is the cheap method. If you write a second rate song and you wanna carry on playing it without worrying it's gonna be pinched you should just mail it to yourself-(who else is going to try and replicate this song) and if it does come up somewhere else you've got a 'leg to stand on' and you can laugh about someone else playing that same form of song.

Cover yourself in the way you think's appropriate-cost is usually an issue as is time-if you write a possible no.1 then make sure by law you've done all you can-at the end of the day, play the damm thing and enjoy yourself.

Let that be an end to this.

Brad - thanks for straightening me out on the notary idea.

BTW, not that it's got anything to do with this thread or this forum (but I have your attention for the moment), what's it like being a Taxi regular?

Hey Monty,
Check out http://www.taxi.com

I have researched their legitamacy, as well as many others. They are for real... if your stuff is good enough, it gets forwarded.

Dobro,
I can't answer for everybody, obviously, but I would say my experience with TAXI is a little different. Instead of having a vast amount of songs waiting for that "perfect" listing, I instead try to write for the listings. Mostly instrumental and film/TV stuff. The listing says scary, I try to write something scary. It says motor sport footage, I try to write something like I hear in my head as I am speeding down a curvy road. I spent many years researching TAXI and decided finally to join (I was waiting for my vast library of songs to accumulate) when I realized that I write better when I am told what is wanted.
So far I have nothing forwarded, but I am hanging in there.

BTW, the song "Buy Me A Rose" by Kenny Rogers hit no. 1 on the country charts last week. It was written by TAXI members (2) and was sent to Kenny Rogers as a result of it being submitted to TAXI. If your stuff is good enough, it works.

You gotta love this....
My partner and I researched TAXI.
At the beginning of thier sales pitch they say... "NEVER pay anybody to listen to your music!"
Then they charge you $250.00 to listen to your music. .....Duh!

I could care less if they put my music to a surfing video or football highlights. The money from that is chump change compared to writing a song that gets airplay.

"Instead of having a vast amount of songs waiting for that "perfect" listing,
I instead try to write for the listings."

Brad: yeah, that's my impression of the best way to be part of Taxi, too. Songs made to measure. Same day service. It's a niche, but my feelings are similar to Professa Plum's. But you make it sound like fun. Might be a good way to get some flexibility into songwriting.

Don't forget to write songs that satisfy *you* too.

Back