clearing samples

Rock Star 87

i checked Kanye West's album cover and it said all samples were cleared by "Sample Clearance Ltd." and when i googled it, all i came up with was some UK company. Is this Sample Clearance Ltd., and if so, why do they look so unprofessional. jc

probably them. Clearing samples is a big deal, but its not something anybody really cares about. The site doesnt really matter, because they are just registering samples. Probably the cheapest too.

Nobody gives a rat's ass about this issue unless you are making money reselling samples in your work.

Even then they dont give a shit unless the money is significant enough to warrant their attention. Kany West is big. Most of us are not. In the words of my Lawyer, for pete's sake:

Do whatever you want. I would not waste any energy worrying about samples. If you get to a point where you need to clear them, you will be successful enough that you'll have someone to deal with that when the time comes.

i think ur lawyer got it a bit twisted. look at DJ Dangermouse. He wasn't big enough to have anyone else handle it, but yet he could have gotten in serious trouble for not clearing the Grey Album, which was all samples.

yeah, that's way the industry goes after people for sharing files and suing the crap out of them... in general the music lawyers want to go after the money but if you just happen to be unlucky enough to be targeted so they can make an example out of you, it will likely be costly in terms of money and possibly jail time...

two solutions really: make you own samples using your own music and effort, or just contact the people and ask - explain what you're doing and chances are you'll only end up having to pay royalities if you start making sales and airplay (at which point it won't be an issue...)

let's face it, if someone used samples from your efforts without paying you, you might not appeciate it...

Back