CD cover - feedback welcome

Nightfire

Aspiring Idiot
Its very simple and not very artistic, but then again my music isnt either. Its for a mostly acoustic folk/coffe-house type stuff CD.
I just picked a nice day, walked down the highway and snapped one. Let me know what you think.

Design1.jpg

Mike

Dog movie???? :confused:
Yes I have a song called Homeward Bound, but I may change the title to Crossroads as I may not put Homeward Bound on the CD at all.

Mike

no offense..but doing a search for cd "homeword bound" brings up about 6 cd's of people, lyrics of songs named homeward bound (mostly no names and then one simon and garfunkle) and that's just on the first page

if you searched for crossroads you would find even more.

something to think about when you make your next album

Last edited:
yes, I agree...

hate to say but you can't only rely on the merit of your songwriting...

you have to stand out from the crowd and this seems to mix in with everyone else.. It's a nice clean shot (also as someone else already said it's the wrong size) but there's not a whole lot that catches your attention.. The type is too safe... The theme is there.. maybe there's a way to crop this image to make it a little more interesting.. or a color tretment.. like a duotone or straight up black and white might make this visually more stimulating.

here.. I had a few extra minutes to show you what I meant (this is by no means a final, just a quick 5 minute job to show you what i meant and i'm sorry to be a jerk but i put a watermark on it considering this IS my profession hehe)

mduerksen.jpg

btw (and sorry for the plug)

but my services are always available if anyone needs any graphics done

www.dojostudios.net is the website (not quite finished it yet but it's functional)

or eeb243@dojostudios.net is the email

that depends if you're pressing it yourself or not.. most pressing companies have 4 colors worked into the price and they don't care if it's b+w or 4 colors. but if you're doing the printing seperately 2 colors is always cheaper

Thanks for all the feedback. I am aware that both Homeward Bound and Crossroads are probably widely popular, but I have to name the CD after a song on the record right? Theres another song called "running away" but it doenst necesarly fit the whole CD's message of a crossroad between perdition and redemption.
eeb, that looks great! Is that just a desaturation of colours?

Mike

Crop out some of the street and some of the sky. You really don't need all that extra stuff. It makes it kind of boring and puts you (the artist) into more of the background.

Also, make sure when you go for print that it's CMKY and 300dpi.

And you also might look at doing a little more with it. Make it a little more interesting. Maybe a brown tone to it? Perhaps some black and white with you or just your guitar in color? I don't know...brain storm some.

Also, the back cover picture that you posted....meh...it's pretty boring. You should really go back to the drawing board on it. It's nice that you stuck with the theme of the cover, though. Next time you post, put your track listing on there...all that stuff that's supposed to be on the back.

Good luck.

Looks good - very clean and simple. Good colour. I do like the alternate black and white one also. Any idea how/who/where you are going to get these printed yet?

Ok, so I decided I will change the CD name and it'll be called Redemption (possibly). If not, it will simply be called my name :D
I had the whole rural road/highway theme going because 3 songs deal with running away on the open road etc.
I think I willl switch the colour to the more dark sepia-tone theme that eeb had going on. Its not a dark album by any means but its kind of nostalgic, so it fits.
Here are alternate shots for the back of the CD cuase I realize the one I posted was a little bland.

CDLABEL.jpg

CDLABEL2.jpg

Ido1957, I'll get them printed at a friend of my dads who owns a business where does everything media related. He told me to zip him over the .jpegs so he can get me a price estimate. He'll also take care of the duplication service once it comes down to it. I dont wanna spend too much money on the whole CD sleeve deal because my CD is not professional quality by any means (you've heard some songs, the quality is pretty bad though they will all be re-tracked but with the same gear). I just need CD's that I can sell when busking/playing small gigs for like $5.

Mike

Mike

Mike,

I dig the area where you did these shots! All the local bands here in LA seem to favor alleys and more urban local for their shots... make you miss trees.

Anyway, the problem I see with the first of your two most recent shots is the contrast problem you'll face on your face. Unless your fairly handy with Photoshop where you can go in and mask the area that needs more definition and play with the contrast and brightness, this will be a tough shot to use.

I think the second of the two is probably better. That green field is awesome. You could do some playing with the contrast settings to really give it a cool glowy effect. I'd also suggest if you do go with that shot, see if you can crop it so you're not dead center, or add some larger text to one side to give it a little less balanced look. I also REALLY like the Manitoba signs in this one. Isn't there an IHL hockey teem up there called the Moose? Anyway...

I through this together as a thought.

http://www.midnightgrooveband.com/ebay/sample2.jpg

Just my 2 cents. Good luck and let us know what you decide on!

Nate74 said:
Mike,

I dig the area where you did these shots! All the local bands here in LA seem to favor alleys and more urban local for their shots... make you miss trees.

Anyway, the problem I see with the first of your two most recent shots is the contrast problem you'll face on your face. Unless your fairly handy with Photoshop where you can go in and mask the area that needs more definition and play with the contrast and brightness, this will be a tough shot to use.

I think the second of the two is probably better. That green field is awesome. You could do some playing with the contrast settings to really give it a cool glowy effect. I'd also suggest if you do go with that shot, see if you can crop it so you're not dead center, or add some larger text to one side to give it a little less balanced look. I also REALLY like the Manitoba signs in this one. Isn't there an IHL hockey teem up there called the Moose? Anyway...

I through this together as a thought.

http://www.midnightgrooveband.com/ebay/sample2.jpg

Just my 2 cents. Good luck and let us know what you decide on!

Just make sure you fix the spelling on 'Redemption' on the side. ;) Unless you want it to be called Redemtion :p

You'd better change the set up on the front. If you have a pic of you walking down the middle of the road you'll get a parental advise warning : Ignoring Road Safety
The modified version offered looks heaps better. Just grab any book on design theorey, read the fundamentals, ignore most of em BUT not the union jack grid one.
Here's 10 minutes with the simplest editor I could find.

Last edited:
Myriad_Rocker said:
Crop out some of the street and some of the sky. You really don't need all that extra stuff. It makes it kind of boring and puts you (the artist) into more of the background.

nah...I like that. the artist doesn't always have to be front and center. it looks kind of cool to have lots of space around him, like he's out in the middle of nowhere.

Back