CD baby

Nope. Always seemed pointless not to do my own fulfillment at the rate I sell disks. If you sell 10 albums, their cut per CD looks to be about $9 + S/H
Whereas getting a run of your own done and shipping them yourself runs about $7 each with domestic shipping.

Now, if you can expect to sell 100 copies through CDbaby so their cut gets closer to $4.60, it probably makes more sense.

For me, it's not about physical CD sales. It's about benefiting from the reach of their digital distribution. Without CD Baby, I wouldn't be getting Spotify's royalty of 0.0000143¢ per stream.

I used them on the CD I did several years ago.....not sure if I'm going to use them again on the one I'm working on now.
Not that there's anything bad about CD Baby...the quality from CD Baby was great...I'm just considering the options.

The thing about CD Baby VS doing it yourself or via some automated online services....has to do with the type of finished product you are after.
CD Baby (and some others) will give you a commercial grade CD product - replicated not duplicated, silk screen printing on the CD...and the sleeves, inserts and jackets are all printed with a high-grade 4-color offset process.

So, if you plan on sending it out to lots of record companies and publishing houses that want/prefer CD over files....or if you have a really large fan base that will buy them and recoup your costs....CD Baby is a good way to go.
Otherwise, if you plan on doing mostly online, "file" sales, there's not much point in using CD Baby...or if you want to just do some basic short-run stuff for yourself and friends or if you don't care about duplication/silk screen/4-color offset printing.

Many options to pick from, so use the one that's best for your needs.

AFA the CD Baby online sales stuff....well, no matter what kind of product you put out, it's on you to *sell* it.
Just having it on their website with thousands and thousands of other CDs is not going to matter all that much on its own.
You get like "30 seconds" on their main "new releases" page...and as soon as other artists finish their projects, your "new release" gets bumped out. :D
After that it's up to your fan base and your marketing strategy.

I used cd baby. The payments they've made to me have not followed the schedule I anticipated. They explained that certain avenues take longer such as itunes holding your $$$ for 60-90 days. My album has been out for 9 Months now. I too have sold tens lol.

Once you figure that out .... If you just want a physical CD to sell/giveaway yourself, use Kunaki, won't get any cheaper or easier.

Kunaki is pretty sweet for smaller scale runs. I'll be using them indefinitely and other services for digital distribution.

Back