Can some explain?

tbiddy38

Whats kind of deals can an idependent label ink with a major? Can some one explain to me how it works please. Does your label receive any money upfront? Do you finance your entire project?...etc. I've heard a lot of things but I'd like to know some facts. Thanks a lot.

I'm not following...

do you have an idependent label?

from what i've read, there are several ways they can do this (keep in mind i'm going from memory...which sucks). Sometimes when you sign to an indy lable, they might take your CD and shop it around to larger labels. If what i understand is true, the person making most of the money there is the indy label, cuz technically you work for that indy label, and now that indy label works the major label. Another thing that can be done is the by out, where the indy label can flat out sell your rights to a major label which usually means that they'll take a percentage (or points) of any future earnings. Either way, it's less money for you. I know there are lots of other was this can work, but i think those are two of the more popular routes that are taken. Maybe someone can elaborate.

as far as actually figures, i think it depends on what the record companies thing you're worth (or how much they can make off of you). Keep in mind this...when record companies give you $500,000 (this could be any figure) to make a CD, they expect to see that money back, and you won't make a penny until they do. that is a loan. they are not just giving that money to you.

go get the book "Secrets of a Record Producer" it'll wake you up to what goes on out there, and they have a section or two addressing your exact question.

Back