Can anyone recommend Taxi.com to get your music licensed?

sergeidave

Hi guys,

I stumbled upon this website yesterday and from what I read they do, it looks extremely promising for those of us who are not yet with a music publisher, record label and what not.

I did a bit of research to see what other people have to say about it, but for some reason most (if not all) of the reviews and feedback I found are from 8 to 9 years ago!

The site seems to be alive and well... they even have some sort of podcast thing and a Youtube channel... but why aren't composers/writers talking about it today?

Are any of you guys currently using Taxi.com and getting some action? What are your thoughts?
I'm seriously considering becoming a member... although the price for the membership is the only thing that is making me give it extra careful thought ($299 for the first year and $199 every year after that).

Thank you very much!
-- David

I've considered Taxi before, but never signed up. Supposedly, you get your money back if you choose to close your account before the first year is up.

My experience with these sites is limited but often they seem to be the centre of intense heated debates.
Any time I've heard of anyone getting a result it's been largely through commitment.

A bit like youtube. I can put up a great video and get nothing but if you put up a great video twice a week for a year you might get traction.
A lot of guys just constantly write hooks, jingles, songs..whatever, and constantly feed to taxi or other services like them.

Regardless of the intentions of, and possibilities offered by, such sites, I expect their main income comes from people buying lottery tickets hoping it'll just work straight up.
Taxi may operate slightly differently but don't-miss-out tactics are pretty common with these sites. People are easily suckered and for just $15 you can be suckered next month too. ;)
Only $10 to get in the door..while you're here, only $20 for this amazing one-off opportunity, etc.

So, that's not to say there are no real opportunities and no one's getting results,
but it is to say that these businesses are built on a model which can flourish without them.
Something to think about.

Besides the annual membership fee, you pay each time you submit a song. I've never heard of anyone having success with it. But the odds are if you submit enough songs (anywhere) eventually one will get heard by someone.

My dad sold some things through Taxi, but that was back in the early 90s when it was a print publication. Back then it was a whole lot of "Looking for the next..."

Back