Band website... opinions, suggestions...

yo! just going to give you a few initial impressions...

THE GOODS:
• nice and clean
• simple and easy to use
• i like the colors and the simple imagery

THE BADS:
• the nav buttons seem unnecessarily large
• band logo is less than inspiring
• html text is small compared to the rest the graphics...but i think those graphics are too big
• you're using default blue for the text links. you might want to use a more unique color
• it also seems odd that in your second level pages, 75% of the area is taken up by the links, and you squash all your body copy into the 25% that (i think) should be used for the nav links.
• everything looks kind of big and clunky (save the actual meat, or info on the site)
• i'd like to see more photos related to the band, or a photo section
• also like to see show dates if you guys play live.
• where as i like the colors, I'm not a fan of the darker gray you use in the sidbar with the body copy. I'd like to see that lighter, or perhaps a different color

These are just some thoughts...take them or leave them. I do design websites for a living, so I might have a little bit of insight as to what might make for a better user experience.

by the way, I liked the first tune. sounds fun!

Because you don't have anything of significance "below the fold," try to get everything to fit on the monitor screen without having to scroll down. You can probably do this by simply shrinking some of the nav links.

I'm going to pretty much agree with what's been said here. Most of the text on the page (especially the links) is pretty big - way too big in my opinion, but that's just my opinion. I agree with the poster who said to try and fit everything on the page so you don't have to scroll down. I think it looks much cleaner and tighter that way.

You've got a very clean look, and its easy to follow.

When I was building my site (the link in my sig.), I looked around at artists sites that were out there and found one that I liked and sort of copied a lot of the layout and site design. I know it's knocking off somebody else's site, but you need some reference when starting out I think. I'm a fan of putting scrolled material within the site (if you go to my site, you'll see what I'm talking about). That way you can have sections with lots of material/info that are still contained within a site that isn't so long (or wide).

Overall the site is attractive and clean - great start.

One thing that I'd like to point out that I see on a lot of sites, not just yours. You don't include your band name as part of the file names for your mp3 downloads. You really should utilize this format: "bandname_songname.mp3". That way, when I have a bunch of different mps's downloaded, and I like your song, I know who's song it is. I feel this is pretty important, and often overlooked.

Last edited:
hi everbody,
Thanks for the suggestions...
we are working on the site still and your opinions and suggestions help a lot :)

We need to start playing out more. We have been working on our latest album and haven't been playing out, but we are going to put a couple of the songs that are finished onto a cd and bring them to some places we'd want to play in (and we think would let us play). Once we start playing out, we'll get some photos of us playing to add onto the website.

Please let us know anything else you think about the site. We already worked on some of the suggestions that you gave us.
thanks,
evt

Back