is the back cover as important as the front?

gullyjewelz

i had this debate with this dude who really has strong feelings about it -- i am not tha tmuch of a fan of artwork -- i usually buy based upon other things -- especially when so many people do the same type of hip hop cd cover -- shot of self in the hood wit hoes, bling, cash, cars in the background . . .

im goin for more of a "me" look -- so this is what i created for my back cover -- any opinions -- feel free to tear me a new one over this!!!!!

hell if it sux for an cd cover art, i might be able to use it as a flyer --

Attachments

• wyn_consultant_inspired_cdbackcover_gullyjewelz_smallest.bmp
    57.2 KB · Views: 66
it just doesn't seem "classic", it seems gimmicky... like a flyer yeah... go for a more classic look that's more... timeless. don't copy everyone else, start something new.

i certainly dont want to copy everyone else!!!! but this one is different (i thought) cuz i dont have any cars, hoes, bling, projects buildings in it . . . i thought just a shot of me would be DIFFERENT ????

lol - i knew the barcode thing was "wrong" -- i think im gonna for somethin where u cant really see me though -- i like images where u can almost see the person, but then not quite . . . hmm let me go find some hats!!!

it doesn't look very different to me... nor does it make me want to buy the album. think about what you would like to see that would make you want to buy the album... especially since you say you mostly ignore the artwork... so if you find something that would make you pick up a cd, it's probably good.

"think about what you would like to see that would make you want to buy the album"

i feel u -- n im gon start tryin to brainstorm it -- but really, im like "stuck on 0" wit it -- cuz i do ignore artwork -- unless its a fine lookin chick -- lol -- other than that, i buy based on song titles or prior knowledge . . . but thanks for the feedback!!!

so get a fine lookin chick, keep it tasteful and sexy to reach a bigger audience...

The importance of cover art (front and back) is fairly dependent on the audience seeing it. If an audience knows your music and is interested in that, the art won't have too much influence. If someone finds your CD on the discount rack at a pawn shop, art is the only thing they'll have to go on; that's when it's really important.

Back