ASCAP or BMI questions

Rock Star 87

I have a few questions, but i know i can join because i sold a CD to my friend for $1, because the album isn't even close to finished yet.

1. Should I join ASCAP or BMI? or SESAC?
2. Do I have to register each song I have copyrighted with them, or just me as an artist?
3. What is the deal with the W-9 form?

Those are my questions, anyone with knowledge, please share some. Thanks!

If you think you’re good enough that somebody can be interested in your music, then affiliate with ASCAP or BMI. These are performing rights authorities that can act in your behalf. They can grant a license to somebody allowing them to use your work (for a fee). Of course you won’t be able to do it all by yourself (I mean negotiations with radio stations, nightclubs, whatever).
Actually, your work is protected by the Copyright Act as soon as it’s been reduced to a tangible form. But in many cases it’s beneficially to register your works officially. See for example your rights were infringed, then you would be entitled to certain remedies.
When you register a CD remember that you register two things:
1. Underlying music and lyrics
2. Soundrecording
Registering a CD as a whole is the best thing to do I think ‘cause you’ll have to pay only 30$ instead of 30$ * (amount of songs on CD). Again, it depends on your degree of popularity what choice to make. It just needs a little bit thinking and planning.
Check www.copyright.gov
There you’ll find a comprehensive information about all pertinent aspects and you can request or download circulars and registration forms as well.
Cheers,
Sasha

Back