any solo artists in here.

a27thletter

the band i've played with for a while decided to give up and lose hope after losing a stupid battle of the bands, and now i'm still sitting around making music by myself all the time with no way to really get it out in live environment, . i mean, theres so much i can do using multitracks, but i just feel like i'm kinda cheating people if i do stuff i cant re-create live. so, i'm pretty much just wondering if its worth it to try to shoot for a career as a solo musician, i mean, i know it has limitations, and might get pretty expensive, but do any of you people do it? and , what are the chances of getting good gigs as a solo artist, should i just give up and find another band?

a27thletter said:
the band i've played with for a while decided to give up and lose hope after losing a stupid battle of the bands, and now i'm still sitting around making music by myself all the time with no way to really get it out in live environment, . i mean, theres so much i can do using multitracks, but i just feel like i'm kinda cheating people if i do stuff i cant re-create live. so, i'm pretty much just wondering if its worth it to try to shoot for a career as a solo musician, i mean, i know it has limitations, and might get pretty expensive, but do any of you people do it? and , what are the chances of getting good gigs as a solo artist, should i just give up and find another band?

You can create material on your own and keep looking for guys that share your musical tastes at the same time. Of course if you need others to create music then it's another story. But personnaly I'm aiming to be able to do it all on my own and find ppl later on.

As for the "cheating" part, I don't think it matters at all. Just look at Robert Wyatt's stuff. He does it all by himself in his home studio. He doesnt play live ever but it's not a reason to disrespect his beautiful work. Would you disrespect a paint because he "does it just one time" ? It's the same thing with music. You lay sound instead of paint.

The only thing I concider cheating is lipsync.

a27thletter said:

Being a solo artist has worked very well for Alice Cooper, Eddie Money, Michael Bolton, J. Lo, Britney, Robert Plant, Jeff Beck and a host of others. It sets you apart and the best thing is - YOU get to hire the backing musicians and they play what YOU tell them to.

As far as recreating your music live, have you ever GONE to a live show? Sorry, that wasn't meant as a slam. My point is that I listen to Dream Theater CD's for example. When I go to see them live their songs are NEVER the same as the CD's. Don't worry yourself into a job at McDonalds. GO FOR IT! At least you're staying true to your music. There are many more plusses(?) to being a solo artist than there are to saying, "You want fries with that?" ;)

solo

I agree with the previous posts, If you have the love of music, you can always make being a solo artist work. I write my own songs, make my own music, and mix my own projects, it takes alot more time and dedication doing it solo but I think it's worth it. and if you do need a little outside perspective you can always hire outside musicians, which sometimes provides more proffesional input.

just my opinion though.

hey man, I hear ya. I'm just a teenager {14} , but i consider myself to know what im doing. but the thing is who am I gunna play with? sure theres drummers and bassists {I'm mainly a guitarist and a lyric writer} but there all either wannabes or jerks. i got a four track and rather than having people come and play with me ive just been playing all of the instruments myself.now this has been great so far, but once i start playing some local gigs, what am i going to do? I cant play them all at once.
,Mike

Just a couple of thoughts

As you know, there's all kinds of options... I do my own songs, recordings, mastering, etc... I'm a cheat...I can't replay it live, but its nice that when I do find people to play with I can show them the basics of a few of my songs, then I let them take a few cds and when they come back, they're able to fit things together alot better... This way, if you find the right people, they can easily fit into your band...Plus they'll come up with things that fit your material that helps you not feel like you're telling them what to play... The biggest benefit to this is that you aren't just sitting around waiting hoping that the right people come along... Trust me you may get old waiting, as you are right in that most people are jerkoffs... Good luck

p.s. You may be amazed at the ideas you will have for your music when you record them... Everytime I record a song it gets better...You'll look back in a few years and probably be glad that you didn't play these songs in their premature form for anyone but your recorder! In fact I have an old live recording that my and my old bandmate did... When I found it and transfered it to cd, I called it "Shut up and Laugh"!!!!

guitarguy1012 said:
hey man, I hear ya. I'm just a teenager {14} , but i consider myself to know what im doing. but the thing is who am I gunna play with? sure theres drummers and bassists {I'm mainly a guitarist and a lyric writer} but there all either wannabes or jerks. i got a four track and rather than having people come and play with me ive just been playing all of the instruments myself.now this has been great so far, but once i start playing some local gigs, what am i going to do? I cant play them all at once.
,Mike

I've played for many years in clubs all over the world. It's extremely HARD to find people with the same vision. Most of the wannabe's (I call them Junior Rock Stars) will always be just that - wannabes. It takes some digging and some time to find the right people. It's very rare that 5 guys get together for the first time and stay together for 30 years... or even 10.

Here's something I did just for a 'test' of my music. I made some karaoke versions of my songs and put them on a CD. I would take them around to the different karaoke bars and ask if I could do my own songs. If it was permissable, I would sing my songs and, of course, say over the intro something like, "This is a song I wrote, blah blah blah" and it actually intrigued people that I had my own karaoke CD. So between songs people were coming up and asking questions, wanting to purchase the CD, etc. I even went so far as to talk to one karaoke bar about doing "A Night With" kind of thing. It worked out really well. They paid for all the advertising and the place was packed.

Now this type of thing doesn't necessarily work with all forms of music. If you're a die hard rocker then you'd probably look pretty funny bouncing around the stage all by yourself. But in my case, I just sat down with an acoustic and did the vocals, with all other instruments, backing vocals, etc. on the CD.

Good luck!

I used to think it was cheating, too, making polished songs. I still do in a way, so I keep my recordings pretty simple. I do this also b/c I like it simple!

I have been in a few bands, but relationships are brittle and things never last, so I struck out on my own. That had its cons (no one to cover up your mistakes!) and its pros (I could play what I wanted -- no having to compromise and play songs you loathe just because the bassist likes them!)

I am now in my 30s and, believe me, life is short. It sometimes seems like yesterday that I was in college, in a band, playing out 3 times a week. Don't wait around for the right bandmates to come along. Seek them out, but keep working on your music alone. You need to be independent and open-minded at the same time.

I no longer play out. Whether with others or alone, it got to the point where I hated the effort. Audiences varied from 5 to 50 people, but it got to me that so many wanted to hear Jimmy Buffett (Margaritaville -- YUK!!). It also sucked when the crowd tuned out and I became background noise. I totally understand, however, that that is just how it goes -- when I'm in the audience, I'm not 100% attentive either. Also, I understand that the crowd's apathy maybe meant that I needed to work harder to keep their attention!

After several years of recording on my own, I may be joining up with a few other old geezers from work just to jam. If we never play out, fine. But, at the very least, it would help me be a better guitarist and I'll have the chance to try out some of my originals. At first, the idea was a turn-off, but life is short and I'm starting to feel like a hermit, hunched over my recording devices until the wee hours of the night.

The whole playing out thing is SO much work -- learning songs, getting gigs, learning more songs, setting up, tearing down, driving, driving, driving -- it's a lot to do on your own, but it's certainly an experience that taught me so much about myself, my music, and my goals.

Good luck,
G

guitarguy1012 said:
,Mike

Mike, when that time comes and you are ready for the gigs, you will hire people to support you.

Entering into a band when you have the talent and creativity and drive to do what you've done can be a very bad decision. You will give away all but your own equal share in the creative and decision making processes, but if you only have a 20-25% say in anything a "band" does, will you feel happy about that? Will you feel happy about it if you're writing all or most of the music?

You will feel used. You will feel taken advantage of, and you will feel that nobody is ever contributing the true value that you are to the project.

Stay the course, keep writing songs, and keep recording them. A writer/producer/performer is the rarest of animals in this industry, if he's a good one and can excel in each aspect of the process. You get good at all these things, you'll write your own ticket, and call your own shots, and reap all of the monies normally split between Producer/Artist/Songwriter for yourself.

gmiller1122 said:
I no longer play out. Whether with others or alone, it got to the point where I hated the effort. Audiences varied from 5 to 50 people, but it got to me that so many wanted to hear Jimmy Buffett (Margaritaville -- YUK!!). It also sucked when the crowd tuned out and I became background noise. I totally understand, however, that that is just how it goes -- when I'm in the audience, I'm not 100% attentive either. Also, I understand that the crowd's apathy maybe meant that I needed to work harder to keep their attention!

Exactly! In this business you can't just be a musician or a singer or a guitarist, etc. If you're going to play out live you have to be an entertainer. I no longer play out either, but after 35 years (I think I've played Margaritaville more than Buffett) playing clubs, festivals, etc., you learn HOW to be an entertainer. The easiest way to is to make the audience a part of your show. I don't care how good the music is, if the band/artist just stands there and plays the song and that's it, then a jukebox will suffice and it's something that management will make money from.

Most of the big stars today would never be where they are with a dull, flat live show. It's MORE than the music. It's the SHOW.

However, the music MUST stand on it's own. Or you'll get no radio airplay. ;) You play live to promote the CD that won't get airplay unless you're popular. And people won't come to see you if they don't know who you are by hearing you on the radio. So do the best live show you can, gain some followers and word of mouth will spread then try for radio airplay.

Smack said:
Entering into a band when you have the talent and creativity and drive to do what you've done can be a very bad decision. You will give away all but your own equal share in the creative and decision making processes, but if you only have a 20-25% say in anything a "band" does, will you feel happy about that? Will you feel happy about it if you're writing all or most of the music?

You will feel used. You will feel taken advantage of, and you will feel that nobody is ever contributing the true value that you are to the project.

Stay the course, keep writing songs, and keep recording them. A writer/producer/performer is the rarest of animals in this industry, if he's a good one and can excel in each aspect of the process. You get good at all these things, you'll write your own ticket, and call your own shots, and reap all of the monies normally split between Producer/Artist/Songwriter for yourself.

I agree. I think he should surround himself with the best musicians he can that, hopefully, have the same vision. Talking to the other musicians may help a lot. That way they can experience his drive first-hand and maybe see something in him that they want to ride along on. In all my years of playing, I was the front man because nobody else would do it. I spent 25+ years in radio so talking to people wasn't a problem for me. Eventually, I just told the guys that since it was my band, my equipment, my efforts that got gigs and I was the front guy, all decisions would be made by me. I never used my own name as part of the band name, though. It was always a band thing, but if somebody brought a song into the band that I didn't think fit what we were doing I vetoed it. Basically it comes down to this: I hired YOU. It's MY way or the HIGHWAY!

In his case, it's HIS music and HIS career that he is pushing. Getting into another band won't be of much use to him. And he's at a good age. He needs to start NOW putting together his own band that will play his music the way he wants it done. Of course, you always give them their creative freedom but if something doesn't work for him, he should say so.

Sheesh... I sound like a jerk boss, don't I? ;)

I sound like a jerk boss, don't I?

Yes, but you have to be that way. I'm much too nice. I'd have a hard time being in complete control. Then again, the thought that THEY work for ME is a new one, and I'll let it sink in a bit! I guess anyone who wants to take that on needs to have a healthy dose of confidence and vision.

you learn HOW to be an entertainer

Exactly. You are responsible for getting the crowd going. Some crowds are better than others - bar crowds want bar favorites. If you don't want to play those, then you'll have a tough time. Me, I don't have the stomach for that anymore. Coffeehouse-type crowds are much more forgiving/eager to listen to original material.

I did find, however, that there was enough standard rock songs that I liked to fill up a full two-three hours...from Buddy Holly to CCR to Counting Crows. I avoided Margaritaville, etc. for years.

Either way, you have to play the crowd. If they like YOU, they'll give your music a closer listen. :)

gmiller1122 said:
Yes, but you have to be that way. I'm much too nice. I'd have a hard time being in complete control. Then again, the thought that THEY work for ME is a new one, and I'll let it sink in a bit! I guess anyone who wants to take that on needs to have a healthy dose of confidence and vision.

Then maybe you should find a manager to handle those things for you.

gmiller1122 said:
Exactly. You are responsible for getting the crowd going. Some crowds are better than others - bar crowds want bar favorites. If you don't want to play those, then you'll have a tough time. Me, I don't have the stomach for that anymore. Coffeehouse-type crowds are much more forgiving/eager to listen to original material.

I did find, however, that there was enough standard rock songs that I liked to fill up a full two-three hours...from Buddy Holly to CCR to Counting Crows. I avoided Margaritaville, etc. for years.

Either way, you have to play the crowd. If they like YOU, they'll give your music a closer listen. :)

I've decided to take my music to the summer outdoor festivals and such in Northeast Michigan this summer, provided I get this court crap settled first. That's a good place to play an all original show. The bars are ok for original music, but yes, they want to hear the bar standards too. So do them with a smile and put some 'show' into them and then every once in awhile drop in an orginal. At least playing in bars and clubs makes you some money while you're working toward the big goal.

I've been working on a solo album now for two years, aft6er initialy trying and failing to get my covers band interested in doing original stuff.

The advantages are control over songwriting arrangements and instrumentation.

The disadvantages are loss of time, as everything has to be overdubbed separately, no-one to bounce ideas off and get a second opinion and the pbovious one you mentioned of not being able to play live.

If you look at many succesful artists they may have started out in bands but quickly went solo because of the advantages i described, plus they make more money that way!

As far as live work is concerned, if you can show 'success' with your own music you should be able to attract at least couple of other musicians to join you and take direction from you, some musicians are quite happy to be told (nicely) what to play/directed. Not everyone wants to be a writer.

Alternatively you are going to have to put together some form of presentation of your music that can be done by one person. This depends on the genre. If it's punk rock you're gonna need a band. If its rap, you're gonna need a mic and a backing track, easy enough to do solo. If it's acoustic based folk then you just need a guitar and a mic, and so on.

Even if your recordings have a full 'band' on them it doesn't mean you can't work out alternative arrangements of them for just a solo instrument, guitar or piano or whatever.

Personaly I'm gonna put out a solo CD then hope to get at least a drummer and a bass player to join me and play my stuff live, if I can demostrate that the material has legs.

Oh, you could of course play live over a backing track you created, again, depends on the particular genre, but some people might think that is lame, but it can work if it suits the material and your singing is live.

Back