Any body had experience

we've sold a few through CD Baby without really advertising it... we sell mainly ourselves through our web site... not sure about spoken word

If you go look at CD Baby's top sellers (at least yesterday), there were several spoken word CD's on the list (I think they might have been comedy stuff - like stand-up).

Anyway, I think CD Baby is great - they provide a great service and do it very professionally, but they WON'T market or expose your music for you - they just offer you a way to sell CD's online. You have to market your stuff yourself.

You might sell 1 or 2 on the chance that somebody will randomly run across your page while browsing through the site, but the chances are little to none, even if your CD is extremely good. I suppose you could be lucky enough to be a CD Baby featured artist (which they pick solely on who they like - there's no way to pay to be featured or anything), then you could get some exposure from them, but the marketing/exposure is up to you.

I think the $35 set-up fee is well worth it just for their digital distribution they offer. You sell a tune on iTunes or one of the other 15 or 20 odd companies they release your stuff to, and CD Baby keeps 9% of the profit - which means you get about 60 cents a song - not bad in my opinion.

Back