Album song order

mjbphotos

How do you choose song order on an album? This new batch of songs I'm working on doesn't lend itself to a natural order as much as previous ones. Many people these days would say 'it doesn't matter' because people don't listen to albums anymore, they just stream. I'm one of the exceptions!

I have a proven formula based off studying numerous albums. You can do a search for it if you're interested. It's in here somewhere.

Unless you are doing some god-awful concept album that tells a story, start with your best song. Then your second-best song. And so-on, until you get to the end.

But no-one really listens to complete albums in the sequence they were intended, anymore.

How do you choose song order on an album? This new batch of songs I'm working on doesn't lend itself to a natural order as much as previous ones. Many people these days would say 'it doesn't matter' because people don't listen to albums anymore, they just stream. I'm one of the exceptions!

I'm an exception too. I ONLY listen to albums (in the car, on the home theater, and usually even when at my desk with headphones).

Like you, I actually work a bit on the song order for my releases. Bubba has made the most important point already - get your best material up front and center. You need to get them to listen to track 2, 3, etc. Don't put a filler/weak song until at least 4th or 5th. By then a captive listener might even welcome the change, as usually the 'weaker' tracks are the more experimental ones compared to the rest, the ones we feel least sure about.

On top of that, I would recommend a timely process of creating a few play orders and listening to them uninterrupted. I've found songs that didn't work well because they sounded too much alike or contrasted (unpleasantly) ending from one into the start of the other. You will also want to be sure the fade in/out for each song works with the next. There should be a sense of 'beat' between tracks, and if they need to jump directly from one into the next it should be by design.

Don't put two slow songs back to back if it can be avoided.

Distribute a few copies to collaborators before sending to the press. See if they find any issues with the song order, etc. Getting overall feedback is useful as well, they may even like some of the songs you thought were weaker, giving you more flexibility to move the songs around perhaps in a different and more preferred way.

Last edited:
All good points, Pinky. Avoiding 2 songs in the same key or basic chord structure. AS I have a real mix of acoustic, electric, and mixed style songs, it makes it tougher.

Even thought I know it is not used, I still use an order when I put up songs that are supposed to go together. Some is based on how I want the song order by content or if they are not supposed to be together, then how do they mix, always follow a slow/melancholy song with an upbeat song, varied keys, some sort of presentation of the complete material.

I know they probably won't be listened to in that way, but I still like the idea. Old dog, old tricks.

I daresay my method is not that different to those above.

First song is the one I think is (a) most likely to be the attention-grabber, and (b) the most representative of the CD as a whole. I tend to divide the CD into two halves, and put similar songs in different halves. Most of the time I mix the tracks up so that there is a good variety from track to track. However there are times when similar songs seem to fit together nicely.

I have a proven formula based off studying numerous albums. You can do a search for it if you're interested. It's in here somewhere.

Yeah, but your formula has a space for the listener to flip over the record, ya dinosaur! :D

Really, the most important song is the first one. You need a hook that will grab the listener's attention right away. Then the next two songs need to also be great to keep their attention.
I think the tendency is for the fourth song to be very different - often much softer - than the first 3. That's probably something to be wary of since it can set the tone for the rest of the album. Listeners might feel like it's a bait-and-switch and sour on the rest of the album.
Then, of course, the last song should *actually* be the best song on the album, but unmarketable for some reason.

Really, the most important song is the first one. You need a hook that will grab the listener's attention right away. Then the next two songs need to also be great to keep their attention.

Although maybe true from a sales/statistics standpoint, I think this is a point of view that sells the listener short, and it's popularity has made most internet releases to sound similar to each other. I know for myself, I always notice when someone breaks that formula and puts a weird/challenging piece out front, and I usually respect the artist a little more for it.

Although maybe true from a sales/statistics standpoint, I think this is a point of view that sells the listener short, and it's popularity has made most internet releases to sound similar to each other. I know for myself, I always notice when someone breaks that formula and puts a weird/challenging piece out front, and I usually respect the artist a little more for it.

But we're not marketing our music for each other. WE all know what's up, THEY don't. So you play by their rules/subconscious designs.

Then there'd never be any albums.

Stole my answer.

There's always material left over that might not be the best track or is too experimental in our minds to serve as the opening/best track, but that still has some redeeming quality to it.

honestly, now that everyone just releases singles and remixes, album order is a lost art.
start the album with a very high-energy song. this could be your main single, but if your 'hit' happens to be a bit more chill, use a different song with a lot of energy.
the main single is often put at #3. this is because everyone knows that song, that's why they bought the album. putting at in 3rd place gets people to listen to 2 more of your songs first and may broaden their experience of you as an artist.
the last song should always be as low-energy as possible. you want to slowly drift off into the night, plus you should have already used all your power ballads at the beginning.

Cars, Candy O, best song on the album (OK, but a good song), Dangerous Type, that was a great way to end an album to me.

I think song order is/was really an art for many albums.

What if there are no power ballads because it's not 1986 anymore?

Dorthy: Does that mean Toto that we can never go back home?
Toto: Yes, we will always be stuck playing these F'in songs for the rest of our lives at old people's festivals.

Back