Advice for freelance composing artists

mrbowes

I'm starting a freelance composing company with a good buddy of mine. We're in the process of producing professional quality demo tracks, ranging from classical to electronica, based on his work and my tools. We have close contacts with many local musicians with talents ranging from jazz, opera, and classical to hip-hop and electronica.

Based on the current market, what are some general estimate fees that production companies charge for the following:

1) a 20 second radio Christmas jingle
2) a score for a short (< 1 hour) film
3) a 30 second voice-over w/ background music commercial

Do you charge per hour or per project?

We understand that initially most work will be pro-bono, but we have to gain a clear idea of what the market is like for this kind of job. We also understand that location is a big factor. We will be marketing our work based out of the Triangle in NC (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area). We believe we can effectively work with remote clients.

If there are any resources available online that would offer guideance in this area, please inform me. I'm serious about investing time and effort into this project to make it happen, since I believe we have both the talent and tools to make it happen.

Back