Advertising your studio...

drummerdude666

immature
I'm now at the stage where i really want to make some cash from my studio to help upgrade it and have a bit of profit.

The thing is....i'm only 16.

The issue with this is most people wouldn't believe i can record well, or mix well. Or they just wouldn't give me there money. Then you get the jerks who think they can do your job better than you just because you're younger than them. :rolleyes:

Anyway...up until now i've been advertising with a local company who set up gigs for under 18s. I've had ALL my bookings from here. He's advertising my site for free becuase he's a very nice guy.

I want to get young bands in, ie under25.

I'd like to hear everyones methods of advertising, and whats worked for them.

Ie. Getting pro flyers printed...marketing? or waste of money?

Here's a link to my site www.tribalstudio.co.uk

Thanks guys!

Usually there is a free sydicated underground paper commonly called the local rag in most large cities that you want to place a 'music' classified in. It may cost you a few $$ but the return will make it worth it. Flyers are good for advertising a gig you already have. Print them yourself and get them up to the college kids for free distribution on campus. Make sure you let the local rag know about any of your gigs too because they will list them free as a community service. Whether you take out a quarter of half page ad along with that is up to you because that may cost ya.

If you're having problems with the age issue get yourself an older person that will act as your agent. There's no need to be upfront with your age either. Let them decide on your work. You may want to talk to an attorney too to clarify whether or not any asgreement you enter into is legally binding.

NYMorningstar said:
Usually there is a free sydicated underground paper commonly called the local rag in most large cities that you want to place a 'music' classified in. It may cost you a few $$ but the return will make it worth it. Flyers are good for advertising a gig you already have. Print them yourself and get them up to the college kids for free distribution on campus. Make sure you let the local rag know about any of your gigs too because they will list them free as a community service. Whether you take out a quarter of half page ad along with that is up to you because that may cost ya.

If you're having problems with the age issue get yourself an older person that will act as your agent. There's no need to be upfront with your age either. Let them decide on your work. You may want to talk to an attorney too to clarify whether or not any asgreement you enter into is legally binding.

Sorry, just to clarify. I want to advertise my studio. Not gigs.
Thanks for the tips though. :)

NYMorningstar said:
Seems like good advice.
The question about whether contracts will be legally binding is a big one ... worth looking into, I think, before it becomes an issue...

I hadn't evem thought of that!

At this stage it's all cash in hand, paid per session. So i doubt i'll run into any trouble as until i'm paid, they get no copy of sessions....so unless they hit me, try and figure out how to export tracks and then burn them, i don't think there will be much of a problem.

But as soon as i set it up as a buissness that's something i really need to look into.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I'm considering making a cd with a few bands tracks on ive recorded (with there permission) and giving it out at gigs, obviously to promote the studio.

Back