Advertising your Music Band!!

ann maria

Hi,
I wanted to know what is the best idea to advertise a local music band ? We mostly do jazz and pop music. I was thinking about some outdoor projections, may be like have a billboard of our with all our band members with their respective instruments ? Really need your advice on this because it is very important for us to advertise ourselves at this point, only then we will get more performances and the band will survive. Please help!! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
People strongly dislike having music pitched at them from an unknown source. You will make more enemies than friends.

People strongly dislike having music pitched at them from an unknown source. You will make more enemies than friends.

I mean, there are a lot of things that bands do that would be considered advertising. The DIY route is - of course - putting up posters around town, handing out flyers, etc. My experience is that usually works better with an event rather than a product. i.e. "Here's a flyer; come to my CD release show" works better than "here's my mixtape; check it out"
You can try to get your music heard in a variety of contexts: send it to radio station. Talk to venues and businesses to see if you can get in their music rotation.
I don't know that billboards would work so much, but they would let people know you exist.

I don't think I've ever gotten turned onto a band strictly from a flyer. Many times I've seen a flyer for a band I knew about and liked already, and went to the show.. But not once have I seen one full of bands I've never heard of, and ended up going because of the flyer. I don't think anyone does that.

Hi,
I wanted to know what is the best idea to advertise a local music band ? We mostly do jazz and pop music. I was thinking about some outdoor projections, may be like have a billboard of our with all our band members with their respective instruments ? Really need your advice on this because it is very important for us to advertise ourselves at this point, only then we will get more performances and the band will survive. Please help!! Thanks in advance.

Get down to street level promotion.
Find some kids or friends or do it yourselves...make up 8x11 one page flyers, and just pass them out to people all around town.
Stick them up on telephone polls... buildings, subways, buss stations...etc...etc.

Get out there and do the meet-n-greet...maybe even some impromptu street performances...which could work for a Jazz ensemble.
A billboard...that's for detergent and car sales....or if you're a really big band doing a really big show.

Back