Advances?

What a clever lad you are!!!!
yeah but that didn't make me any money.
:)

Seriously, probably not much or more likely none unless you're really got something they want.
The recorded music biz is in the dumper right now and no one has cash to spare.

Now, if you've really got something special, then congratulations first of all.
And if that's the case then you might can get some advance money but it's gonna be so specific to you and what you have to offer that it's gonna be hard to have an idea of what they might advance you because they don't advance all that often right now.

So, stupid joke aside, I think the advances they're giving are few and far between.

Thanks, Bob.

Yeah, I've been contacted by a label and publisher who wish to publish for me and release via their label. Other than this initial contact a couple days ago nothing else has been discussed yet.

I'm in a frustrating position of not being in a position, financially, to give up the day job and concentrate wholly on promoting the music.....and I feel that 100% committment to touring is necessary to progress.

Thanks, Bob.

Yeah, I've been contacted by a label and publisher who wish to publish for me and release via their label. Other than this initial contact a couple days ago nothing else has been discussed yet.

I'm in a frustrating position of not being in a position, financially, to give up the day job and concentrate wholly on promoting the music.....and I feel that 100% committment to touring is necessary to progress.
well, that's simultaneously an exciting and sucky position to be in.
Only thing you can do is let them know you'd need some cash to be able to properly support the release by touring.
I wish you luck and let us know ....... a very big congrats for getting to this point.

I'm in the same position pretty much...

A Label is interested, and we're about to record a full-length to them, on our own expence, So, it will be crap. They are ready to pay expences up to a grand when the master is delivered.
Unless the Album sells like a mofo, NO tour support of any kind. I too have a woman and a kid to feed with my daytime job, so.....
But, at least, worldwide distribution and promoing of the album.. not bad for a band with 6 gigs and an EP behind them...
But no "rock'n'roll-lifestyle" to be expected, probably waking up at 04:45 to work in the morning the rest of my life. :D

Having talked to the folk involved it turns out that they're offering a regular publishing deal along with a Digital Distribution Licence agreement through their label.
No advance offered.
To be honest the terms sound pretty much OK to me. I've gone as far as I can with the CD release on my own. The publishing deal is enticing. It's a foothold in the industry.
They're a pretty small, but long established company.
What do you guys think?

Distributed physical copies to as many retail outlets as I could persuade to carry it.
Got to the stage of having regular radio play on Irish radio (my music is folk music).
Sent out countless copies to record labels and other industry contacts.
That's it.
I have a day job to deal with too.

Having talked to the folk involved it turns out that they're offering a regular publishing deal along with a Digital Distribution Licence agreement through their label.
No advance offered.
To be honest the terms sound pretty much OK to me. I've gone as far as I can with the CD release on my own. The publishing deal is enticing. It's a foothold in the industry.
What do you guys think?
man ..... getting a foothold is more than many of us ever do.
And I didn't think you were gonna get an advance anyways because of the current market.
If you've done the research and they're a reputable company I'd likely grab it.

No advance offered.
What do you guys think?

Publishing... Deal or No Deal.

For those who don't know, a publishing deal states that the author of the material will give up their copyrights or "assigns" to the publishing company, publishing deals help channel your royalities to you if the material is used commercially. Publishing deals generally do not place your music into outlets themselves. Publishing companies themselves will take a certain percentage of your royalities. Publishing companies do not offer services that may benefit an artist that either collects no royalities, or collects royalties themselves.

Generally outside publishing will lead up to 50/50 splits of all royalties. Whether that be performance royalities, mechanical royalities, sync royalties etc.

imo. Publishing deals are considered to be obsolete, waste of effort/time. Publishing deals are generally considered a "scam" by many industry professionals.

Oh Did you know that once you play the medium outside the studio to fresh ears, it is considered publishing? Thus majority of major artists will/or have setup their own publishing companies to themselves. IE: Personally I can collect my own royalities via ASCAP & Harry Fox Agency, I can copyright my own material, I can protect myself with my entertainment lawyer.

So all in all,

It's up to you, however my advice would be to decline Publishing outright. Give or take business practices of majority of publishing companies out there.

Hmmmm.... isn't one of the roles of the publisher to market the songs to other artistes, radio, TV, film, etc.?
These guys certainly emphasised the fact that they would be promoting the work heavily.

Does anybody else thin a publishing deal a waste of time and money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_publisher_(popular_music)
Wiki of generalized publishing may be better to explain lol

btw I am 'generalizing' what publishing does.
companies vary in the services they offer even if a company may be a publisher, he/she may take on the role of a record label & promote. The defining of Publishing these days are like defining what a Producer does lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know what you mean.
I guess if these guys are gonna be selling digital downloads it would be in their interest as well as mine to promote the music to radio, etc.

BTW, Mindset, I'm about to send you a PM.

Back