Selling a beat

Trumpspade

I'M BLESSED.......
What is the protocol in selling a beat as far as prices? Is there an understood price or is it something you create based on what you think the value is?
I have recently been approached for instrumentals, but I have no idea what price? I'm not in it to get rich, just having some fun, but it is good to get paid for your ability so I don't want to stretch it............ya mean?

Second part of my question is when you sell the instrumental, should it already be mixed in a final stage. Because most artist/producers would like to chop it up to the likening of whatever lyrical twist they apply to it. Right?

Well as far as price range it depends on alot of things usually I go with what I think its worth then say it's open for negotiation. Leasing your music is always cheaper than someone buying the rights to the track so whatever prirce you want for the rights charge less for them to lease. It really depends on how much you think it's worth to you it's not set science there are competative rates if you wanna follow them though. Some underground producers charge around 150 for the rights and half of that to lease. These type of producers plan on making a living. If your plan isnt to make a living then just sell it for what you think it is worth then negotiate there are several ways to do that too. Say they cant pay your right away well you can recoupe the money from whatever they plan on doing with the music like if it's going on a CD you can make a contract that states you get 50 cents from each CD sold or something or even a dollar if they dont plan on selling alot. If it's gonna be back ground music for something you can say you want this amount for how many times it is played or something. It's alot of ways to do it there isnt a set science.

Okay your second part of your question is a science sort of. Most producers even if they just made the beat and arent involve with anything else in the project still need to get the beat tracked. Meaning where ever they are recording you have to go in and track the beat to make sure at least the track is recorded properly. If it's done on a Keyboard or sequencer or some sort take it to the studio it can be easily tracked with midi syncing or if it's done on software synth type joint just export each track as a wav. and take that into the studio most pro studios at least have pro tools but if it's a home studio they should at least have some type of software sequencer that would except your tracks that way. This is the way it's done in the industry unless of course there is live instruments involved but from what I'm hearing you probably have either the track on a Keyboard or sequencer of some sort or maybe in software. The reason you want to do this because it's your music and its a representation of yourself. You want to at least give the engineer the best recording of your track so that it's mixed the best way possible. Once you track it that's all you need to do. They should be able to take it from there. I myself when I sell I track I do all the recording in house if they want to take it to another studio I usually do the session there myself unless I know the engineer. Just I prefer to do it that way that's all everything is according to what you feel comfortable with doing. I hope this helps

Helps alot!
Good Looking out................
I figured you would have to track the beat yourself. Most people I share/give beats to I personally work with them in my studio. So I never had to go anywhere else. Have you found it difficult to use someone else's equipment? I know what your answer probably is, but for me right now I am sooooo comfortable with my own sh*t. (Well it took me long enough to get a grip on it) But thanks for the info

Yeah there's alot of different equipment out there but everything for the most part does the same thing you just have to ask the studio who is providing the service. They are usually willing to help out as long as you know the basic terms you wouldnt have a problem. Every studio is different so it's impossible to know everything. It's sorta like using different sequencer programs. Like I know the basic terms like EQ, Effects,pre's...etc are in the programs is just finding out how to bring them up and use them. You shouldnt have to know everything that's why there's an engineer on to help out. as long as you know the terms and what to ask for then your straight.

On a side note I hate when guys come to your spot and they act like they know everything but dont know anything and when you try to help they get offensive. I just let them get frustrated then finally they come around and ask me lol.

Back