Sampling Methods

bassout

What methods do u guys use for sampling... I'm new to home production. I've only worked with cake walk before, but I'm getting ACID Pro 5 and a BOSS BR1600 recorder.

I know I'll be able to sample music with either of these... but will they let me 'lift' vocals to be sampled in beats? I'm looking for a cheaper alternative than the sampling workstations I've seen... any ideas?

Thanks, nine.

Get over it GB... hip hop started out as a form of artistic expression. Groups like the Beastie Boyz and Run DMC used sampling as an artform from the very beginning... they spliced and sampled sounds from dozens of songs to make 1 beat. If you think sampling is stealing... you're in the wrong forum.

That being said... anybody have any other ideas. Can you strip vocals from music during the mastering process?

GamezBond said:
Make your own music fool.Sampling is STEALING!

As I said in another thread this guy is a ass! music is all about creativity so bassout put your BEATS together the way you like them :D

sampling is an artform if your good at it, mixing samples from different pieces arranging them in a collage, time stretching, and pitch shifting placing samples in a complimentary progression is mind bending and no two people will get the same thing, it is the heart of artisitic creativity in production.

by lifting vocals do you mean taking just the vocals out of a sample, because from my experience that is pretty difficult and you'll need some high end equipment for that. It is, however, much easier to remove vocals from samples.

Sampling is going to be around as long as there are ways to sample music and there are so many. Like my man Doc Strange stated, it's an artform, but you have to be creative in your music. HIP HOP is SAMPLING and SAMPLING is HIP HOP. If you don't like to sample in your productions, that's fine, but GamezBond, don't knock the next person for doing it. If a company sells a sampler and a consumer buys a sampler, then what do you use it for? SAMPLING....

Doc, I'm talking about both actually... I want to be able to play with different instrumentals... just experiment with them and see what type of sounds I can come up with. And I also want to lift just the vocals and alter them for use in some of my own tracks.

And yeah, I would have to get copyright clearance if I wanted to use the tracks commercially... but this is just for the fun of experimentation and making new music.

since vocals tend to be in the center you could suppress the surrounding frequencies but i have never tried please let me know how it turns out. your never in copyright infringement untill you attempt to market something or perform something that you do not own the copyright to.

vocals tend to be in the center? is that as specific as it gets? and so, to remove vocals from a sample, you just drop the center frequencies??

topolino said:
vocals tend to be in the center? is that as specific as it gets? and so, to remove vocals from a sample, you just drop the center frequencies??

From my understanding and my own experience: If you can hear the vocals equally on both the right and left speakers then they can be removed by doing a phase change. Do a 180 degree change on one side so when you put it together you can cancel it. You -180 + 180 = 0

Or you can get this simple software called YoGen Vocal Remover which does it for you. The hard thing about removing vocals is that you can remove other things as well such as the snare, kick, bassline, and other instruments. That's when I guess you'll want to get into eliminating by frequency ranges.

Guys correct me if I am off on this subject.

bassout said:
Groups like the Beastie Boyz and Run DMC used sampling as an artform from the very beginning... they spliced and sampled sounds from dozens of songs to make 1 beat. If you think sampling is stealing... you're in the wrong forum.

*dons flame suit*

Federal law has decreed the outright sampling of another's artists work for pecuniary and artistic means to be illegal and violation of copyright laws.

Note that you can do more with sampling other than stealing music. I consider that type of 'music creation' to be a cheap fraud at best, and criminal at worst.

Real musicians write and perform their own music, not steal someone else's and calls it 'their artistic expression.' That's just lame.

ProducerBigC said:
If a company sells a sampler and a consumer buys a sampler, then what do you use it for? SAMPLING....

Using your same logic:

If a company sells a GUN and a consumer buys a GUN, then what do you use it for? KILLING.....

Samplers weren't invented for that purpose. They were pioneered in the late 70's by a company called Fairlight to use an emulative type of digital synthesis using fourier analysis. This idea was quickly expanded by the Emu company into the first commercially viable sampling-only machine--the Emulator. The intention was to play previously recorded instruments to achieve sounds impossible on analog synthesizers.

Years before this, DJ's would spin break beats by hand using a turntable. Once they saw what samplers could do for them they went ape with it. However, this doesn't make it any less dispicable from a creative standpoint.

Samplers sample sounds--it is up to the consumer to decide to do it illegally or legally. Just like gun ownership doesn't make you a murderer unless it is used in that manner.

humbly,

yes, the sampler's purity was defiled by dispicably lazy DJ's ape-goings.

sample-based music is appreciated from different angles compared to some other musics: there's an element of virtuosic performance to the best of them, a personality and taste with which one becomes familiar, just like all virtuosi. to listen to their music and judge it only by the total percent of the sounds made in the studio by live instruments, you know, right then by the musicians, all written by the composer just for this recording session (which is often less than 50% and can be zero), is to entirely miss the main thrust of it.

Just because the music was made in the past, by other humans with different goals or whatever, it was still made by humans. it can be looked at that way. humans assemble stuff. then laws come into it, and money, and ego, not necessarily in that order. but I think sample-based music is a totally valid artform, and it is a relatively dynamic as opposed to static one.

In my humble opinion.

GamezBond said:
Make your own music fool.Sampling is STEALING!

it's not stealing
for me it's an artform
not everybody has the ability to take a sample an make it almost irrecognizable*
i can show u some o my tracks and u will barely know where i gottem from
and i'm talking about samples from artists like nas and mobb deep, that a lotta ppl hear them nowadays ;)

*don't know if i wrote it right
lol
:p

Disposable- thanks, that software looks like it'll be able to do exactly what I'm looking for (w/ the tune out voice & music functions).

Clone- sampling is flattery more than anything. It's using something old to build something new. And building your own arrangement around something else to make it sound new & appealing is definitely an artform. I wouldn't base my entire music production around sampling... but it is definitely an avenue of the art.

Thanks for the frequency suggestion also... I'm not getting my recorder until next month, but I'll be sure to use these suggestions... thanks, again.

If a person doesn't sample, great for them. I have 2 samplers and I bought them to sample whatever I want. I didn't buy my sampler in the late 70's to use an emulative type of digital synthesis using fourier analysis. (who knows or cares what this means?) If and when I need to clear a sample for commercial release reasons I will. Until then who cares about sample clearing of what somebody's else's opinion on the matter. It's not like all those of us that like to sample will stop just because somebody want's to tell us why a sampler was made back in the 70's when this is 2005.

Back