my tips for "neptunes" style drums...

adam_in_audio

hi,

Here are my tips for creating neptunes'ish style drum sounds. Drum minimalism is kind of a big thing nowadays, it's all about finding a solid rythm you can groove to. I have a lot of friends/collaborators that bring me drum tracks that just sound too lifeless and plastic, they're always concerned with advanced beats/filling in all the notes/etc. etc.. If there's one thing I've learned from the Neptunes, it's that one simple kick and a triangle here and there can literally make a song :D . Note: it's all about expirementation, so take these tips and try out your own thing with them. If you come up with something cool, let me know :)

I do all my 'synthetic' drums in Reason nowadays (by the way).

kicks:

1.) start off with a 'decent' kick sample, doesn't have to be spectacular just as long as it feels good with what you're doing.

2.) for kicks, I place them in the grid 90% of the time manually...(usually quantized as well) this will give you a nice solid foundation to start 'feeling' the groove.

3.) add a compressor either to the drum machine itself or by the effects sends on the rack (I go by the sends, since I don't like to compress all the drum samples the same). Set it to about 8:1 , set the attack to 30-40, and the release to 65-75 or so. This gives it a nice booming feel. If you'd like more ambience or space, feel free to add some reverb...just don't go overboard with it. A small plate or hall set to about 10-20% wet will do wonders. Reason has an effects unit called the "Scream". It's mostly a distortion unit, but for drums the 'tube' and 'overdrive' settings can be extremely useful..I use it all the time now, it gives the (kick espescially) a THUMP unlike no other I've seen yet.

snares:

1.) it's all about layering here. If you're pretty advanced with soundforge or bias, then I would suggest making your own samples by layering drum sounds. I once had a snare sound that you had to run away from because I had layered it with 25 different snares! :) You can also layer with reason (or fruity loops) by simple adding another snare sample directly on top (the same beat) as the previous. If you're looking for a more 'traditional' neptunes-like sound, layer the snare with either a snap, a cross-stick, or a clap. You can even adjust the start of the second layered sound, so that it has a slight delayed feel to it.

2.) If I'm compressing snares, I do so with rather quick release times. I just want it to hit and be done with it ya know? I also rarely use reverb on snares nowadays, I know this seems backwards to some people...but it's all about finding the sound you like. :D

3.) for snares (and most everything else), I place them in performing live with my midi keyboard. This seems to help out with the 'human' feel dillemma.

cymbals, noises, etc...

for me (espescially being a bass player) the most important elements are taken care of with the kick and snare. For the rest, it all depends on the song. I play off the groove a lot, so I don't go overboard with hats or other cymbals. This is also a good time to expirement with panning, effects and space. Shakers have become a good thing for me lately. I'll pan a shaker to the right and a hat to the left and instantly have this cool percussion thing going that has a nice sense of space. It's up to you, just make sure you can groove with that kick and snare! :)

Hope this helps some newbies out there, I know there's a lot of great musicians on this board...just trying to share some of what I've learned that's all. Good luck with your grooves!!

Adam

yo,
great info man. im in day 2 of owning Reason 3.0 along with a microKONTROL,
and this is just the type of tips and tricks im looking for. i appreciate it.

any suggestions for good bass?

the type of bass im looking for is just like the bass in this beat....

http://cdbaby.com/allmp3/myronmayhem.m3u

^if that link dosnt work for you, let me know, ill get a different one.

thanks in advance.

hi ethos,

got to check out that link,,, pretty good stuff.

yeah, I see what you mean about his solid bass. To be honest, I am a bass player by trade so a lot of my basslines are actually played live. Nowadays I'm getting quite a bit more into synth created basslines. Since you're using reason, stick to the bass sounds in subtractor and the NN19 ...use the matrix pattern sequencer for now to create a solid, well timed line...use your octaves/fifths etc.. This goes without saying: if you can slam out a bassline with your midi controller then by all means go ahead :) The matrix sequencer is really nice because it has gates/ties/curves etc.. that you can tweak to your hearts content. I am not familiar with the new version of reason (I have 2.5) but I'm sure you will find a nice sound you are satisfied with.

Then, when you find the sound: run the bass through the scream unit on either tube or tape mode..use some reverb for space if you'd like. If there is one thing I cannot stress enough with reason it is never underestimate the power of the Scream unit :D Seriously though, the Scream will get your shit pumpin'

hope that helps a little. Here's a tutorial from one of the guys over at future producers. It's quite well done and extremely helpful. It'll tell you all the stuff I didn't cover in this post.

-----> http://www.futureproducers.com/tutorial.php/id/42/page/1

good luck and let me know how it comes along!!

Adam

I've got an even better tip... learn to play the drums...
:p
The neputunes VERY rarely use just samples, pharrel and beat down snares like none other... samples are good and well, but a live drum beat just can't be out-done!

I've got an even better tip... learn to play the drums...

The neputunes VERY rarely use just samples, pharrel and beat down snares like none other... samples are good and well, but a live drum beat just can't be out-done!

hey man, I'm just trying to give out some tips and tricks that I've learned experimenting with sound. Some people (like myself) would love to play drums but may live an apartment (again, like myself) that has neither the space nor the tenant acceptance for a 'real' drum set. Since I've admired the Neptunes minimalist production style, I tried to see what I could do to emulate that with samples while at the same time putting all kinds of twists in it. While we're at it, if give me hard proof that Pharrell and Chad use live drums for MOST of their beats then I'll eat my words. I'm not trying to start stuff with you, I'm just trying to assist someone that may actually want to use my tips. Obviously you're an elitist so this doesn't apply to you.

A.

Come on, man, I'm not dogging your tips or anything, I'm just saying, its pretty hard to make a synthetic drumline sound "real". I know, I USE SYNTHETIC DRUM BEATS!!!

For your off topic request... if you watch any of their studio sessions (check out MTV2.COM or something like that... can't think exactly what the site was... :confused: ) you see pharrel and face using drumsets. Its obvious that they use samples on a lot of songs, but a good majority of the time, they record their own, as well as create live loops.

SYNTHS AREN'T THE BE ALL, END ALL IN MUSIC WORLD...!

alright, I getcha.... I'm not here to fight or make any challenges or anything. I never did say I was aiming for a 'real' sound though, I actually like the sound of synthetics though sometimes..it all depends on the song. By the way, I should mention that 80% of my samples I've made myself by recording my bands drummer and then editing with soundforge. I then load them into reason and play with them from there. So I've kind of found a happy medium between using synthetic machines and a live kit.

peace,

Adam

Back