dotted line...

Ashura

just somethin ive been marinatin on for a bit. as a producer, what advantage is there if u sign to a big label, like neptunes or to dre. yes, there's networking, but when you sign, doesn't your hard work (aka, the beat) become their property? not sayin any of this is gonna ever really happen, but as an underground producer, if my beats were ever heard by someone big in the industry, and they wanted to sign me to their production team, my beat gets lost, its bought. i might make a couple dollars in the deal, but the beat is gone, and your work on it is no longer acknowledged, its just someone else's property for their profit. maybe im lookin at this wrong cause i dont know enough of how it works after a certain level. is it worth signin that dotted line?

it's simply what your looking for . lets say you got a beat that Loon likes he goes to PD wit it ifs he likes it 9 times out of ten he buyes it from you if you unknown (and thats relitive) the pay you out meaning now PD owns the beat . now this can go to ways you can get no credit on the release if thats what matter to then you can try to nego into the contract some times they accept but pay a lower fee sometrime they just say no . but in my mind what should really matter is that if your beat are getting out there and and the insidders know it's you who cares who's name is on the cd cover the insiders know you did it ( insider IE CHECK WRITTERS) you have now started to get your weight up and the next go around you can ask for and get more from the next beat . as for signing on to a label yea they get you but thiink steaddy pay check who would'nt like to have a job doing what they love and gettin payedd for it HTH B)

aight i get what u sayin...but insiders, dont people within the industry see a 'neptunes' production, and it stops right there, since your name is erased essentially from that track, how does it get back to you, that it's your creation, your work, their purchase? are those details basically erased or are they just not displayed on the album credits? with so many indie labels and what not, just wonderin if there is an advantage aimin for big names.

copyright , publishing

what you need to keep is the copyright of your material and that's what the insiders are after
they'll give you the recognition , you'll get paid on the first go but when the flip it ( ie remix, other artists using the beat) you won't see none of that $)
off course that depends on who owns the publishing rights

Back