Zip Drives

DEADLY

I've heard a few of u mention zip drives. My pc is dangerously low on memory which makes working on and saving large wav. very difficult. In your opinion is a zip drive worth investing in? What type of files can be saved to them?
Thanks. Deadly

You can use them for off-line storage (you can't record to them), but I gave up on Zips years ago when several friends had the infamous "click-of-death" fault, where the disk starts clicking and the Zip becomes useless taking all your data with it. There was nearly a class-action lawsuit over it.

A CD-burner will set you back $50 (Lite-On 52x from newegg.com) and allow you to store 640Mb of data or make audio CDs. Blanks are only pennies now.

Kinda make Zips useless.

Zip drives for computers went out with the 2GIG mark.

They are really good for stuff like scsi equipped stuff with limited memory like samplers but when it come to computers they are kinda obsolete. Unless you just need a quick 100MB/25OMB data swapper.

CD BURNERS can be found for almost the same price (give or take ($50) now and give you much more space (up to 700MB)on a slightly more reliable media which is also cheaper and more widely used. I think if you have a bunch of files cluttering up your hard drive that you should consider backing up to CDR. Also you can burn audio cd's to bang... Zip can't do that...

I have four zip drives and the only time I use em is with a sampler somehow.

Thanks. I've already got a cdr drive tho but i still have the same problem. I just wondered if a zip drive would help.

DEADLY said:
My pc is dangerously low on memory which makes working on and saving large wav. very difficult.

I am confused, are you talking about RAM or storage? If it's a RAM issue, that can only really be fixed by adding more RAM (if your machine can handle it).

If you're talking about storage, what about just getting another HD? It's not the best drive, but I just picked up a 40 gig Maxtor (7200 RPM) for $60. You could also look into external drives, like Glyph, but they tend to get real pricey.

If this doesn't answer your question, explain what you mean by "which makes working on and saving large wave files very difficult".

Stray

Thanks for the help. Sorry bout the fact i don't know that much about computers. I mean storage of files. For instance when i want to change an acapella mp3 to a wave file i can't always do it because it will often take up more memory than i have available which makes remixes very arkward. Would another hard drive solve this problem? If so i will buy one straight away cos this is a real pain in the ass!

Your descriptions sound more like RAM then HD space.

If you describe the particulars of your machine:

Operating System
Processor (CPU) type and speed
amount of RAM (even FSB speed would help)
Motherboard make/model
number of Hard Drives, etc.

In short, I can tell you that a ZIP will do NOTHING FOR YOU based on your description of your problem and given the fact that you have a CD burner.

So, I would lean towards recommending more RAM, but the particulars from the list above are needed before a real recommendation can be given.

J-

DEADLY said:
Thanks for the help. Sorry bout the fact i don't know that much about computers. I mean storage of files. For instance when i want to change an acapella mp3 to a wave file i can't always do it because it will often take up more memory than i have available which makes remixes very arkward. Would another hard drive solve this problem? If so i will buy one straight away cos this is a real pain in the ass!

I have to agree with the last poster, it does sound like a RAM issue (low system resources). Definitely list the specs of the PC if you know them and if not, just post the model #.

Try this before you buy anything. I'll assume you have either Win 98, ME or XP. This will not work for 2000.

Go to the START MENU and click on RUN. Type MSCONFIG in the run box and hit ENTER. There will be several tabs at the top of the screen, click on the one that says START UP. You will now see a list of different applications. Uncheck all of these except SYSTRAY. Click APPLY and then YES to restart your machine.

When you reboot your machine you will see a box telling you have used the system config utility, yadda, yadda, yadda. Check the checkbox next to DON"T SHOW ME THIS AGAIN. Now try doing some of the things you had difficultly with. If it works great, but more RAM definitely wouldn't hurt and it's pretty cheap these days.

BTW, if your machine isn't AUDIO only and you have Virus, PopUp and/or Firewall Protection software, you may want to leave that running as well.

Stray

I've just found a solution. I didn't realise you could write whole programmes such as fruityloops to a cd and then run them from the cd. Once i had done this it meant i could delete the programmes from my hard drive and just use the cd. I will also try what you have suggested Stray and see if there are any more imoprovements. If not i will try to detail my computers spec for you. Thanks.

Back