--y The Hate?

gullyjewelz

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH USING THE SOUNDS ON THE TRITON KEYBOARD?

In the past I have been told that this is one of the best keyboards around. Nowadays, seems like I run into folk who thrive off of telling me that the drum sounds I am using from the triton keyboard are sub par . . .

Any honest opinions on this subject? (As opposed to people just shittin around cuz they happen to find themselves bent over a toilet!!!!

this is what i think

i have once owned a triton and i noticed that the drums lacked the punch i needed, all i did was sample my own kicks to put into the board. you can also eq/and or layer the kicks with other kicks. most people are upset with the presets, i guess it would be nice to not have to work for the sound you want but the truth is any board will be packed with sounds you are bound to have to tweak to your liking. that's the power of these workstations, they come loaded with enough tools to make just about any sound you want, the hard part for people like myself is learning sound theory and design. if you nip this in the bud then you can grab any synth/workstation and create hit after hit. i bet you can take your triton, freak the presets, put the tweaked sounds on disk and sell it to other triton owners.
some people just don't have the time or patience to design sounds, so they pick up the gear that has all the presets to their liking. the factory presets were designed to get you motivated, but with any board there is going to come a time where you are going to get bored with the sounds and you will have to create your own sound sets. now to directly answer your question, the people who can't or wish not to design their own sound live every song preset by preset, and if they dislike the presets they dislike the board. I myself have been learning sound design here and there.

its not that i have issues with the sounds ( the presets) but i tend to get two types of feedback

1. from dudes i know that want beats -- they cool n like the shit i come wit
2. from other "producers" who always find something negative to say to me about my production

so for me its like a catch 22 --

I, myself, own and use only my Triton Le. Granted, it's the lite edition, but when I first got it, it was the absolute best thing ever in my mind, being I only had a radio shack keyboard before that. I don't really like the drum kits though. Occasionally I'll stumble upon something I like, but it's rare. I usually do as Jugalo does and layer and EQ the shit out of them to get what I'm looking for.

I was one of those guys living preset to preset for every song, but that has changed recently and I'm starting to put more time into the sound selection instead of just switching to whatever I see first. The Triton has been a motivating force for me, but I still don't know the half of what it can do... I can only imagine if I had the studio version how lost I'd be.

Long story short: I like it. Does the job for me. But it has been getting a bad rep recently from what I hear.

Hey Jugalo, are there any good sites/articles on sound design? I'd absolutely love to get into that more.

-Springfield

gullyjewelz said:
its not that i have issues with the sounds ( the presets) but i tend to get two types of feedback

1. from dudes i know that want beats -- they cool n like the shit i come wit
2. from other "producers" who always find something negative to say to me about my production

so for me its like a catch 22 --

yo gully that statement wasn't targeted at you, I was referring to some of the people who dis boards because of their presets. choosing a board because of it's presets to me, is not necessarily a negative thing because you can get to making your beats as soon as you hook up the equipment, but calling another board weak because of your lack of knowledge and or experience is not cool. so with that said, you should now know that you have the power to recreate just about any sound out there with your triton. sample drums from other places or invest in drum kits and then whenever you are making a beat for a client let them hear the different kicks while the beat is playing. If the client won't be with you while you are making the beat, ask them what song has the type of kick they are looking for and them try and recreate the kick.

don't know if this pertains....but i personally don't like hearing beats that have the flat out synth sounds from keyboards....beats made entirely from those soundbanks just seem to sound empty....but maybe it's just me...

Ain't nothin' wrong with some tweaking in whatever you do. Most factory stuff just doesn't suit me so I prefer to tweak to get what I want, not what the company starts me out with. I'm keeping an eye on this to see what people are saying about the different boards when it's time to add more gear.

F*uck em

do what you like, however the triton does have weak drums, other beatmakers "they arent producers unless they have produced results" will always have something to say i dont reprogram synths i go with the presets and effects and samples, if you can sample your options are limitless when it comes to drums, my favorite technique is to track my stuff, go to a real studio get a session drummer to play in place of my drum tracks, take the live recorded drums home and get em in my mpc!! ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! this relatively cheap, you can find a drummer in some college band or local bar to work for beer and pizza damn near, it should take take more that an hour.

smashngrab said:
do what you like, however the triton does have weak drums, other beatmakers "they arent producers unless they have produced results" will always have something to say i dont reprogram synths i go with the presets and effects and samples, if you can sample your options are limitless when it comes to drums, my favorite technique is to track my stuff, go to a real studio get a session drummer to play in place of my drum tracks, take the live recorded drums home and get em in my mpc!! ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! this relatively cheap, you can find a drummer in some college band or local bar to work for beer and pizza damn near, it should take take more that an hour.

That's interesting, because I have a handful of tracks with lame ass guitar in it from a synth that I always wanted to bring into a real studio and have someone play over it and then I would sample that into my mix. I know a few guitar players who would do it for free and offered, but I don't have good enough mics, pres, or a decent sounding room. I may actually do it now that you brought it up. The drum idea is a good one too. Kinda forgot about it until just now.

-Springfield

Back