Who is the best DJ???

SPINSTERWUN

Who is the dopest hip-hop dj when it comes to scratching?

Q-BERT?

BABU?

SINISTER?

KID KOALA?

ROC RAIDER?

MIX MASTER MIKE?

SHORT CUT?

peace...

spin

p.s. My vote goes to Q-Bert. :D

Babu is definitetly tight on the tables!!!

So is Kid Koala.

I didn't even realize how advanced Kid K was until I heard a link posted by camn.

peace out...

spin

Alright camn.

On wax, I would say Q-bert or Babu,.....probably Babu.

But, in person I would say Q-bert. That MUTHAFUCKA is COLD as ICE.

Back, a few years ago, I did a show out in LA, when I was on tour, and I had the chance to do some routines with all of these guys (at one event).

It was...

Babu

Melo-D

Rhettmatic

AND...

Sinister

Rob Swift

Roc Raida

AND...

Q-Bert

Mix master mike

Short Cut

The one who showed the most different styles, techniques, patterns, varieties, control, precision, collective calmness, and expertise was Q- bert.

Man, camn, Q-Bert would smoke the socks off of Shortcut :) IMHO :D.

p.s. Did you install that yet...

peace

spin

I also wanted to add to my last post...

That when it comes to "BEAT JUGGLING", Babu is UNTOUCHABLE!!!!

spinsterwun the sound chemist

my WHOLE PROBLEM in life is that I havent seen Q live. Ive seen a lot of guys, but never him.

but the second time I saw Shortcut live, he was alone, playing after this local group in a little club.. and I swear I shit my pants. He did things I never would have thought of.

xoxo

camn...

Don't take me the wrong way. :)

Short Cut is very tight on the tables.

The show I did in L.A. for Phat Beats and URB magazine showed me that best out of all of these previously stated DJ's was "Q".

peace
spin

Felix The Dog - pure SF eklectic.

funk, downtempo, breaks, d&b.... he does it all.

not say'n he's the "best".... just damned amaizing.

No you're right, I missed both the "hip-hop" and "scratching" in your original post. Still, Felix is an amazing turntablist. Not so much for scratching, but his beat juggling and layering skills are world class.

Don't forget to give proper dues to the electronica crowd. :) There's been some incredible under-ground-breaking music happening in the past decade, and it's just now starting to erupt to the surface.

And let me put a word in for San Francisco. For a while we've taken a hit with all the dot comers driving the rents up and the artists and musicians out. Even so, there's still a vibrant music scene pulling influences from around the world. Where else can you walk into a cafe and hear tektonic-hip-hop-bass thundering under afro-tribal-nu-skool beats while tibetan-indo-persian space travel chants reverberate in the aether above?

I like doing parties out there on the West Coast. I did this Party at the Justice League. I think it's out there in San Francisco (it was a while ago, plus at that club, I was spinning house music not hip-hop).

I'm with amrcel, Q is DA MAN.

spin

Best scratch DJ

All of the djs listed here are definitely dope. But in all the years I've been DJing, D-Styles is definitely the dopest. Always extremely technical. Always creative. Always dope. They don't call him the "scratch scientist" for nothing. Peace.

True... true...true indeed.

D-Styles is tight. But, I still think that Q would still fade him.

But... that's just my $0.02. :)

peace

spin

Back