Where do I Start!?

ProdaGee

So im barley starting out. Im below a beginner cuz I just know ive always wanted to learn how to Produce.
I write lyrics and all my friends can freestyle, rap, write, sing, dance and i wanna be the one making the beats!

I have no fast computer so what is a good Laptop or PC?
I also have no beat making software so what do u suggest?
Just where do i start?? i just wanna take that step then work my ass off on it!

any advice or tips would help.thanks

I would recommend a Macbook. Macs come with a program called Garageband that you can use to make beats. It's not the best software or anything, but its free. You would probably also want to invest in a Midi controller as well to make it easier to use.

If you don't go with a Mac (they're expensive so its understandable not to choose it) then get whatever you can and just find a beat making program you like. I have a lot of friends that use FruityLoops and Reason but there are quite a few out there to choose from. I'd start with just getting online and searching for beat making software. There are a lot of types out there and there are some that even are broken down by style (crunk, dirty south, westcoast...etc).

You could also go with an 808 or some other beat machines and avoid the computer.

I raised a thread before I'm not sure if its in this forum, the title is "which one is better for a starter, software or equipment?"
The answer is both but software gets the edge and it depends on what you are used to.

First: You need a good working computer. You can get a mac book or and intel I series. (bit costly), I'm currently using Quadcore and Planning to upgrade it. We'll thats for the processor only.
Software? there are soooo many software online and theres no such thing as best software. What matters most is the workflow. Choose one software, learn it in and out.. and see online tutorials to help you...and that's why forums are made..... to help you. :listeningmusic:

Last edited:
Most new pc's will cover your needs...even laptops are pretty powerful and dont cost the world

As far as software you wont go wrong Ableton Live

Team that up with NIs Maschine and youve got a great little set up for around $1500 all in

Then youll gave to consider an entry level audio interface, some nearfields, a pair of cans....that could set you back another $500-1000 depending on what you buy

Remember theres always a market for used gear

But it will take some $$$ outlay to begin with

Thank you so much for the Advice n Music Wisdom! (if there's anything I can do to support or give back let me know:) The Mac's are pricey, BIGTIME, but I have got some recommendations on the "HP Dv6 with Beats Audio"... I currently have the money for one and thinking about buying one Reeaalll soon.. would that be a good starter?

Start with buying equipment first. You can never appreciate PC recording untill you've gotten your hands wet with gear based recording first. A good multi track digital recording is a good start. From there look into a sampler like an MPC and finds yourself a decent keyboard those are really the basic tools to making tracks.

Keep in mind that you don´t need a supercharged pc for Music Production.
It´s important to have a nice audio interface (Soundcard)
For a Biginner i highly recommend a cheap but powerfull solution like "Steinberg Ur 22". It´s an amazing Soundcard that get´s connected to your PC/MAC via USB.
Now choose the DAW you like the most and try to figure out the most important features like recording midi information, assigning Effects to a channel, adding vst plugins and so on. Once you know how your DAW works you can start learning about Music Production theory. Every Genre has it´s specific production techniques. Tempos, Sounds, Play styles, Drum Styles and so on.

Check this Video to learn how to make an RnB Beat for example:

Back