Whats Ya Weakness

Allright, First off lets start with the beat - Decent beat and I am fealing it. What program did you use to record the vocals? I'm not sure what it is or what effect can be added but to me it just seems a little bit sloppy because some parts are different volumes than others etc. And the lyrics I am somewhat fealing, not spectacular flow but the lyrics are spiritual and motivational - something a lot different, and different is a good thing.
I also like how you took the time to type out all of the lyrics. I can feal that you're trying to get a message out there and with little things that show the effort into things really help.
Great song keep bangin

wow..thx...glad u liked it

the program i use is pretty basic...its called total recorder...its deffinatly not proffesionally done...i tried usin fruity loops...but its to advanced for me...i have no clue how tah use it...

the program i use works like this

1 - play the beat from a audio program [P2P, Windows media player]

2 - press record on the program

3 - record your voice usin a mic
-------------------------------------
thas pretty much it...pretty basic...but it gets the job done...lol

L'espion Noir said:
wow another total recorder user. i thought i was the only
but i only use to record stuff that i can't download
great material

Ha ha ha ha...nice...ya i was lookin for somethin quick and simple...so i downloaded it...

and ya for what the program is...its not that bad when it comes tah recordin music and stuff...lol

For using a computer mic, that was pretty good. I know I'll catch some crap for this, but if funds are that low I would go to BesBuy or somewhere like that and get your self a kareoke mic. Much better quality and still really cheap. That's waht I did in the beginning. It was a AT-ATR30 for about 20 bucks, came with cable even. HAHA :o

sounds ok

i like the beat, and like mentioned above, you can definitely use a better mic. you're voice is recorded really warm and the low end is giving you that up in your face proximity effect. you may want to slap some reverb on your vocals and or subtract some lowend with your eq. the lyrics i could barely comprehend, but that never stopped me from listening to sean paul, so keep up the good work.

I can't lie here man, you've got some potential for sure, but when it comes to your flow and feel, you're coming up short. Now...before some smartass here attacks me and says that this forum is for amatuers and pro's and that we all got to start somewhere...let me defende my reasons for not drowning this guy in good feedback...If everyone here says that you're the man of the mic someone will verbally kill you some other place...I instruct smalltime rappers for a living and I used to give them great feedback on their def. not so great stuff and what happens? They think they're all that and someone knocks them down. The sooner the better hence my honesty, so that you have something to struggle for...
I felt that your vocals was way to tence, now...that might have something to do with the fact that you're on a low budget. Had to take it all in one take perhaps? I have noe idea how that program you used works, but it sounded like you were stressed out.
Great recording for a crappy mic though. Wouldn't hurt to kill the low end of the freq spectrum of your voice to make it a bit more clear. If you're doing all this by yourself and you're just starting I might suggest to google around and learn some techniques. The sooner the better...
The beat was a bit weak if you ask me, did you make it in reason? NO! I'm not downing reason...it's part of my production platform...
What version do you use? R3? If so you would benefit alot to learn how to use a compressor...in R3 there's a new compressor, but the old one can be used if hell is frozen over.

I don't how much I helped but...it's just my oppinion

-Nito

ya i totally agree...the mic i got is total crap...but im learnin how tah use Fruity Loops...so im makin mah own beats now...

and i think i can record vocals wit fruity loops aswell...havent really gone that far in yet...and if i can...i should be able tah tweak mah voice...so ya...its all good

and as for 92...dont worry...im the same way when i give feedback...and with me...if u get offended wit mah answer...then dont ask me next time...lol...so i know where ur comin from...now worries

i'll see what i can do about mah vocals...like i said...Fruity Loops should be able tah take care of that...hopefully

but im glad u guys like mah song...

yo tilis

don't count on recording in fruity loops to help your vox out, it's more what you do to the sound and not what your program does. i would suggest investing in a light version of cakewalk or acid pro to do your recording, and mixing. yo, what's your budget like? this is an example of a inexpensive preproduction setup for under $500.00:

1. SM57 mic = $199.00 (it's a performance mic, but it's a damn good one, if you went condenser you would have to invest more money to support it's phantom power so starting out with a performance mic might be a good choice untill you learn more)

http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/sm58.asp

2. Soundblaster card = $69.00 (designed more for listening but is waaay better than the $2.00 factory card)

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=10653

3. cake walk music creator ( this program is the light version of cakewalk sonar, it's not what the pro's are using, but you should have a lot more options and room to grow with this verses what you are using now.)

http://store.yahoo.com/cakewalkdirect2/mucrpro1.html

4. you are good with fruity loops (a lot of people down this program, but i produced 60% of my cd with this program)
but you might want to expand upon your sounds with third party sample and drum kits.

http://www.abstractbeats.com/

http://www.modernbeats.com

http://www.platinumloops.com/hip_hop_guitar_samples.shtml

(these are just to start you out, just do a google search for samples and drumkits.) they mainly cater to rap and hip hop so you may want to include the genre of music you need your soundkits for in your search.

5. if you mainly recite off of paper invest in a mic stand = $25.00 ( you can get this from just about any music store, just be sure to let them know it's for a dynamic mic or a condenser mic )

Last edited:
ok i should of said this from the beginning and i appologize

i dont do this as a career...i dont plan on bein a rapper...im actually studyin tah be a chef...i do this whole thing as a hobby...

i appreciate the time it took u tah come up wit all those prices...but im not gonna spend $500 on a hobby...lol

sorry about that guys...i should of said it from the beginning.

keep those number close you'll want it someday.
hobby or not people tend to spend money on this thing for some reason or other ( be it lack of quality, or expansion on potentiality, or something like that)

Sounds A lot like When I first started out though.... did a 2.5 minutes song to one of gangstars beats that I got from one of their beats cds that I just happened to come across in a local store. Put the cd in and found a beat that I liked (beat is called pieces or something) and recorded it all in 1 take with no overdubs or anything at a friends house with windows sound recorder and a computer mic, I even recorded the beat through the mic from the speakers.

I have come a hell of a long way from that. Basicly I started buying a 40$ mixer and a 90$ sm 57 from ebay. Also bought cakewalk 2004 which I use today to record and mix my vocals. Then I bought an sm58, upgraded my mixer, and bought fruity loops. My next upgrade was a pair of bx5's, and a sr-16. Finally recently I purchased a copy of reason 3.

I have done all of this very slowly over the past two years or so. You dont have to be rich you just have to have the love for music and allways want to expand and learn more. At first yes it does seem like a lot of money. If you told me a few years ago before I started this the amount of money they I was going to invest in i would have said hell no and would have never started to build a studio and persue my musical talents. This is coming from somene who has a very small space with not even as much equitment as some other people here do and yet it works perfectly for what I am doing. My studio is great because any time I feal like messing around with something music related I have the power to do so. It helps relieve a lot of stress and you can express yourself.

The bottom line is if you have the love for music you can start very simple and keep building off of that to suit your needs.

Hope this helps and I hope that you will continue to try to grow as a musician and persue your hobby.

or perhaps you won't get sucked in and become a gear/software slut. trust me as the name implies it's not a good thing, cuz that's when you put a credit card on reserve next to your sam ash and guitar center card just for music.

stay strong kid keep away from the stores and you just might survive,.... maybe
mwahahahahah
whispering..
(he's hooked he ain't aware yet)

well thas exactly what im think in onlydude...lol...for somethin that i just do tah get away...and clear mah thoughts throught music...not really lookin tah pay $500...but prolly in the future when/if it gets more serious...i'll prolly slowly get more equipement...and hook it up...

but for now im at level [BASIC]...lol

L'espion Noir said:
or perhaps you won't get sucked in and become a gear/software slut. trust me as the name implies it's not a good thing, cuz that's when you put a credit card on reserve next to your sam ash and guitar center card just for music.

stay strong kid keep away from the stores and you just might survive,.... maybe
mwahahahahah
whispering..
(he's hooked he ain't aware yet)

Haha... yea im hooked... I'm not a slut though. It only seems like a lot because I took the time to list how I got started and ths shit that I have bought to try to help someone out. I have bought this shit on a low budget over the coarse of a few years.

Allthough I'm somewhat of a tech freak myself I do admit that the words of Just Blaze have a somewhat "biblistic" (faulty spelling?) meaning to me...

"You don't need a million dollar studio to make a million dollar record"
-Just Blaze

It's true...BUT I prefer to have the things I can't afford cause it'll ease my work a bit, BUT! I don't need them...I like to learn how things is really done, not just press a combination of buttons and get something.
At times it feels like a curse though, cause it's a limit to how many days I can go eating just nudles...but then again, I've got love for music so it's a top priority.
No pain...no gain....

-Nito

hey man no doubt...if its what u do best...and u make a profit from it [which im assumin u do]...then its a very good investment tah get the best quality.

Back