What's a Producer

gec

Is it just me or is mainstream music just really fucked up..........All this shit I hear on the radio and especially MTV about producers and who's the best and this ones a great producer.....that ones a great producer...............I am so sick of these fuckin people.....I don't even know the definaition of the word anymore......

someone makes a beat....mtv says there a producer...its bullshit.....All of a sudden everybodies a producer-or a co-producer-or an executive producer...like what the fuck

Sorry ^ I was just venting

So let me ask you guys your opinions

is a producer?

1.) The person who makes the beat

2.) The person who records the track

3.) The person who mixes it down

4.) The person who masters the work

5.) the person who does all of the above

6.) the person who does all of the above and also writes the song.

the producer does all the work that makes the actual track. the author (i.e. when it says "written by ###") comes with the general idea of the track and the basic melody lines.

sometimes people are both writer and producer, which means they thought out the idea of the track and then made it happen...

so your answer would be #5... and in the cases where it says "written and produced by ###" it's #6....

Producer- the indivual(s) responsible for the delivery of quality masters(song(s))

A producers task are basically the coordination and directing of the creation and implemention of a song/album/project

That is why Puff daddy is a producer -- He conveys his message to the musician and sets the vision and makes sure they don't stray away from it....

Some producers also are writers on the songs they produce.

Producers like Premo and Timbaland are also writers on the songs they have producer credits for ..... This is because of the beats they made are considered compositions thus giving them the writers credit(publishing).

I would go with answer 5 except they normally don't get into mastering of songs......

Raticus

http://www.mp3.com/chopshop
http://www.mp3.com/dashop

I think that Raticus' explanation is pretty accurate...

except that sometimes a music producer is alot like a movie producer.

the person who gets talent together, but does not necessarily have anything to do with the actual music other than to select the best songs for the artist's CD.

especially when you see executive producer. producer's like puffy and babyface have a team of writers and beat makers.

Raticus did you see my new Joint I got posted up?

I'm workin on that other joint too I promised I would post....maybe this week I'll finish it

cross----I Agree there some producers who's jobs are that limited....

Gimmie a link I'll chek it ----gec

-my definitions:

-well as far as rap music goes...the "producer" is generally the cat that does the track

-an executive producer for anything is generally the cat that funds everything... (ie Puff Daddy)
especially when you see executive producer. producer's like puffy and babyface have a team of writers and beat makers.
-umm, Babyface is an actual musician...he does everything he creates tracks, he has written probably hundreds of songs and he has engineering skills
Puff daddy is the untalented muthafucka, all he does is fund money, i don't think he evr made a bat in his life...all he does is put his gay voice on all his artists records and dances and jumps around on all his artists videos, and why does he get all the closeups when he is the feature on the videos...Did yall know all his artists are leaving his ass...Faith don left and signed directly to Electra, 112 suing his ass, and he about to lose his distribution deal wit Electra
2.) The person who records the track

3.) The person who mixes it down
-this ^ is an engineer (alot of the great producers have become good engineers...) It is real necessary at some point for "producers" to learn the ins and outs of a studio and learn the equipment, and learn how to mix....why? because they are the only person that really know what kinda sound they aree trying to get
4.) The person who masters the work
-I beleive that no one should "master" there own recordings...people throw that word around and don't know what the fuck it means...what an engineer should do is mix the damn record down till it sounds as good as he/she can get it, then send the dat/cdr to a mastering house for an EXPERIENCED mastering engineer who will then poliish it
5.) the person who does all of the above

6.) the person who does all of the above and also writes the song.
-I don't think that there ^ is any such person
for example:

Babyface - writer,producer,musician ...he has a studio engineer to track and mix his shit(although he can do it himself, there is somebody that is better that he trusts)...then the mahor label that carries his label send all there shit to a mastering house in NYC i think

Dr. Dre. - producer, (also sometimes an engineer), D.O.C. writes most of his shit, he has studio musicians to play bass, Keys, and guitars, he has engineers, and i think he still get his stuff mastered at Donovan Sounds in L.A.

Ant Banks - producer,musician(plays sevral instruments, but still uses other studio musicians),he's the sole engineer for his shit(he tracks and mixdown everything he does himself)....he doesn't write 90% of his lyrics...and the stuff he did in the past that wa distributed thru Jive Records all got sent to Tom Coyne at the Hit Factory in NYC

-see what i mean, no one does everthing...

-as far as the word "PRODUCER" in non rap/hiphop/rnb music ...the producer is a white greasy haired mark that doesn't make beats or anything...he just stands there and tell the artists how to sing a part etc...and is resposible for delivering the master recording to the record company

-my 2 cents... OUT!!! Beeyotch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pyssdogg:

just so you know, just becuase babyface owns the rights to the song, does not mean he wrote it.

tony rich, wrote for babyface before becoming a solo artist, then after his solo effort failed to make him a household name, he went back to work writing for babyface.

because tony rich sounded too much like baby face, peoples was like------------???????????? is that a dis on babyface or tony rich??????? figure it out. I think a "real" producer, is someone who has the talent to make their own shit, but usually works with a team to "produce" hype shit. Dre works with a team, he works alot , and incorporates all his "team" to do the rest, and as any good producer would do, when he hears shit being locked down, he lets his team know. He has dudes on the keyboards, on the guitars, on the bass, on vocals, etc-------every aspect---and when a good beatt or song is "produced" he lets them know. To me, thats what a producer is. When you know its tight, and have the ability to hear a tight ass beat or song, then you're producin.

I'm glad this post got attention...cuz I like to hear everyones views.............................It was just bothering me when I was watching MTV (Iknow,I know) and they were ravin about producers and who's the best and yada yada.........

pyssdogg:

just so you know, just becuase babyface owns the rights to the song, does not mean he wrote it.

-ummm...Babyface IS a songwriter (this ^ statement you made sound like he doesn't write songs, people may have wrote songs for him or heelp co-write songs with him, be he has written lots of Hit songs for artists

-plus, he the one that PRODUCED that song "Change The World" for Eric Clapton (listen to the beat and the guitar) then check the credits on the cd booklet (recognize)

-he have wrote songs for many artists like Whitney Houston, etc...

-shit in fact, He wrote the WHOLE "Waiting to Exhale" soundtrack and PRODUCED it

gec said:
I'm glad this post got attention...cuz I like to hear everyones views.............................It was just bothering me when I was watching MTV (Iknow,I know) and they were ravin about producers and who's the best and yada yada.........

-since you brought this ^ topic up...

-it seems to me that nowadays in the hiphop-bet,mtv genre that in order to have a hit song, you have to have a track from The Neptunes or Timbaland in order for it to be considered a hit no matter how wack the track is

-it's amazing that they let the Neptunes get away wit selling the exact same beat to 10 or more people and claiming it as a new original track...i think they sold the best version of that track to Brittney Spears

-plus om getting sick of all this Ja Rule/Female duet propaganda

-and is it me or does all them Timbo/Petey Pablo tracks sound the same

-and how bout them Timbo/Bubba Sparks tracks

-and finally everyone should realize by now that what Suge Knight said about Puffy back in '95 at the Source awards was true...people was just scared to say it

-that nigga is a walking headshot, nigga alwayz wanna outshine his artists...and hee the only nigga i ever seen to do a song and a video to ride his own nuts..."the D-I-D-D-Y...it's Diddy"
damn how gay is that...

-om thru ventiing....86

I agree wit you 100%

I am so tired of mainstream music.............I don't even listen to the radio no more......cuz their all fakes......

JayZ - Big tough guy in all his songs

Gets arrested and says quote " My momma can go anywhere in the world and hold her head up high and know her son is innocent"

WTF

P. Diddy - Talks of bein a gangster and a big time balla in his songs................

Gets arrested and pins it on an artist from his label.............and again become a little bitch...........

Nas - Battles to know end wit JayZ and says quote " I wish it was 2 other cats that had beef. I just wanna keep this on wax"

Snoop - Thinks he's a gangster............. When all reports clearly show that Suge used to slap him around like a bitch.....................Yeah real....tough weighin in at 160.....Come on..........

Just to name a few.................... As far as the Neptunes are concerned .............. huh..... Pyss already stated the facts

BUT TIMBALAND IS FUCKIN AWFUL

Back