what are your settings for quantization?

jugalo180

www.moneyistherecipe.com
i'm exploring outside of fruity loops, so right now i'm using reason and cubase with a midi controller, it's a hassle for me to get my melodies to come out right. I guess i need to practice whatever phrase i'm going to play before i record, but since quantization can also help me out, i'm trying to figure out some good settings.

1. what do most of you guys generally use for quantization on your R&B and Hip Hop tracks?

2. in cubase and reason, is there a way for you to set the quantization before you record, or do you have to quantize it after you've finished recording? I know on the korg triton and mpc you can set your quantization before you record, so as you are playing the notes snap into sync, it would be nice for cubase sx or reason to be able to do this.

the faster the tempo the tighter you would want to set your quantization right?

Yo Jug what up. I usually set my quantize in Reason for 16 at 100% for most tracks. On more complex beats and melodies, I'll set it to 32 (and at rare times 64), but I'll keep the 100% Changing the tempo doesn't "always" mean the quantization has to be tighter. Sometimes, I've had to loosen it up a little bit. FYI for most beats, I tend to stick anywhere from 80 to 140.

Do you start the beat off with the drum track? That's usually the easiest way to put it all together.

As for Cubase, I'm using SX 1, but for the most part, I use it after I've already made the beat in Reason, so all I really do is match the tempo in Cubase to the beat in Reason. However, if you're using Rewire to place the Reason track into Cubase or you're using VST/DX plugins, I believe that it can be quantized previous to recording that into Cubase. Try going to MIDI -> Quantize Setup and then change your settings before you record.

Fieva said:
Yo Jug what up. I usually set my quantize in Reason for 16 at 100% for most tracks. On more complex beats and melodies, I'll set it to 32 (and at rare times 64), but I'll keep the 100% Changing the tempo doesn't "always" mean the quantization has to be tighter. Sometimes, I've had to loosen it up a little bit. FYI for most beats, I tend to stick anywhere from 80 to 140.

Do you start the beat off with the drum track? That's usually the easiest way to put it all together.

As for Cubase, I'm using SX 1, but for the most part, I use it after I've already made the beat in Reason, so all I really do is match the tempo in Cubase to the beat in Reason. However, if you're using Rewire to place the Reason track into Cubase or you're using VST/DX plugins, I believe that it can be quantized previous to recording that into Cubase. Try going to MIDI -> Quantize Setup and then change your settings before you record.

yo thanks. i usually start off with a basic drum track, then go into my melodies. i've been doing the rewire thing off and on, but now i want to get more into the midi, so i'll find myself using the techniques you mentioned up above more often now.

You may find yourself switching quantize settings in Reason if you do a lot of faster/slower change ups and your quantize setting can't keep up. I'd forgotten to mention that earlier.

If I'm not mistaken there's a "quantize while recording" function in Reason to help you out with this problem. Also worth mentioning; you can sometimes get quite funky results if you ignore the quantise function all together. Quantising the hell out of things tend to make them really digital and stiff, as oppose to a more free flowing piece. It all depends on the style you're working with.

-Nito

92_ said:
If I'm not mistaken there's a "quantize while recording" function in Reason to help you out with this problem. Also worth mentioning; you can sometimes get quite funky results if you ignore the quantise function all together. Quantising the hell out of things tend to make them really digital and stiff, as oppose to a more free flowing piece. It all depends on the style you're working with.

-Nito

Yeah there is a quantize while recording. I use that frequently. Sometimes it can come out stiff, but there's usually creative ways to take the stiffness out of them. On some tracks, I'll cut the quantize so much that it's almost non-existant and work some funky shit into it.

Cubase has an auto-quantize switch on the transport. Reading thru the Cubase SX/SL 3 ur supposed to be able to calibrate how tight you want the notes to be shifted which is dope cuz sometime quantized note are too robtic even with swing applied.

Hi_D_Ho_Man said:
Cubase has an auto-quantize switch on the transport. Reading thru the Cubase SX/SL 3 ur supposed to be able to calibrate how tight you want the notes to be shifted which is dope cuz sometime quantized note are too robtic even with swing applied.

are you talking about the automatic midi controll quantize or is this something new in version 3?

Hi_D_Ho_Man said:
yeah , its not new tho even the cubase vst32 version had it.

Hmmm that brings back memories. I remember a few years back think Cubase VST5 was the shit. Now I'm like "Damn, I do shit so much quicker with SX"

Back