what should I purchase to begin making beats

davidwayne

Just recently signed up for the forum and would have to say there is a lot of info here. I have been doing some browsing but cant find the specific answer to my question.
The question is what equipment should I purchase to begin making hip-hop/rap beats. I have done some research and can not decide whether I should just purchase the MPK mini with reason or logic pro just to get a feel for the Akai equipment and the basics of beat making or should I go ahead and purchase say a MPC 500/1000/2000 with a midi keyboard and reasons.
Note: I have a Macbook Pro 2011

Check futureproducers.com. That site is geared more towards rap and beat-making than this one is. Good luck!

Check futureproducers.com. That site is geared more towards rap and beat-making than this one is. Good luck!

Just took a browse through that site. Yeah, it does seem much more appropriate site for such a question. Sorry, this site is more about recording instruments as opposed to creating them. I might have to hang out there to get some insight into that aspect tho. Thanks X! :)

My personal favorite is part of the tool kit in Ableton, I've said it before and I will say it again, with the tool set that you get with that, you can sample anything, create an instrument or drum, make a kit out of it, map it to MIDI, send it through filters and frankly come up with something no one has heard before.

As soon as I get done with my "traditional recordings" you know, like Barry C says it should be done, I am going to off into a tangent and just see what sounds I can create a song with.

Did I mention Ableton is a good source to make beats?

I would have thought that you already knew about that site Jimmy. I think that site, this site, and and the Audiofanzine site are all owned and operated by the same company. I'm not absolutely certain about that, but I think I'm right. I would've already directed those types there, but didn't think about it until that thread of Greg's yesterday about quarantining newbs for a short period. My thinking is that they can use that site until they become more experienced, and then switch over this site when their knowledge grows. I've checked that site out a little and they have some pretty good mods there who have a good grasp of the subject matter. I'd rather they go to that site and learn the basics and feel comfortable, than feel unwelcome here.

You're right DM60. Ablelton is very popular with those genres of music. I have a LE version that came with something I bought, and it indeed does have all the things to do the aforementioned with. FL Studio is another popular one for those kinds of things.

Last edited:
I would have thought that you already knew about that site Jimmy. I think that site, this site, and and the Audiofanzine site are all owned and operated by the same company. I'm not absolutely certain about that, but I think I'm right. I would've already directed those types there, but didn't think about it until that thread of Greg's yesterday about quarantining newbs for a short period. My thinking is that they can use that site until they become more experienced, and then switch over this site when their knowledge grows. I've checked that site out a little and they have some pretty good mods there who have a good grasp of the subject matter. I'd rather they go to that site and learn the basics and feel comfortable, than feel unwelcome here.

I think they just use the same software, so it looks similar. I could be wrong though.

I only joined this site because it most fit's what I do in studio. I can't say I know about other sites run by the owners here. Frankly, It does not matter much to me as this site is the only one I have time to care about really. I was asked to be a mod by members who thought I would be good at it. I try to be a good moderator, but I still go off now and again. I am human, and a member of the community first...

As far as the 'unwelcome' aspect goes, it is just what happens these days. Many new newbies just ask a question and go away. I don't see a problem with that. Many do not have anything to offer once they realize how much is involved in recording (money or time). As far as trolls who wish to just speak their banter and harass other members here, well that is what I took on (without pay) to help control. I don't mind spending time to keep the sanity in a site that has given me the insight from others with years of knowledge and experience. I learn and share what I have learned here daily. If others don't wish to listen... well they just go away. I am mostly here to help with spam and regulate the site so that it is fair to others. I love a bit of silly fun banter between members and some entertaining stuff, but it is the on topic informative things here that are truly worthy.

By the way, I am an almighty MOD and will throw you down if you offend me! LMAO!!!! Sorry to any members that do not understand how fricking funny and facetious that statement is. :)

Jimmy

Same here. This is the only site I actively participate in. Don't have time for any others. Greg's post yesterday just made the flickering light-bulb in my head go off, and I thought that site would be better suited for some of the people who just do drive-by's here. That's not the type of music I listen to or am interested in, but if that type of music gets kids interested in music, I'm all for it. As they mature I'm sure their taste in music will also mature. Just my thoughts on the subject. And you're exactly right, we do have members here who's knowledge of the subject matter is colossal. And the good thing about it is that they are willing to share that knowledge. For free no less! LOL!

Last edited:
Yeah, but then again the 'drive by' is not always guys that just want to make beats or sing over them. The genres are much more diverse than that. Seems it is the 'beat/rap' guys that stand out.

I am internet friends with three members here that have not posted lately but that still have constant contact with me directly, because they felt too ashamed to post again on the site with questions that they are ridiculed for by other members. I'm not sure that is fair to them that a site called 'home recording' deserves a level of competence in order to post. We all started from the beginning at some point...

There is a difference between someone asking questions and just using the site as an excuse to post beats. That is always dealt with or buried in an appropriate forum.

The ones that continue arguing points that make no sense are in a completely different category. Then the fun of thrashing begins. Anyone without the capability of listening to others experience or judgments without finding what is relevant to their personal question, is not actually looking for answers. Oh, IMO. :)

The lazy ones are the ones that tick me off. I never address them, but their laziness does irk me. I don't might assisting the rap guys, hell, we all had to start somewhere. Just as long as they at least act like they tried to find the answer! LOL!

The lazy ones are the ones that tick me off. I never address them, but their laziness does irk me. I don't might assisting the rap guys, hell, we all had to start somewhere. Just as long as they at least act like they tried to find the answer! LOL!

There is where conviction and the actual desire to learn comes into play. Those that just want a quick way to get their words out-as if it going to change the world-well, get back to school. The ones that actually ask a question looking for direction? Answers, opinions and options are given. Even then some members take offense as if they already know the answers they wish to hear, and take offense to the actual 'right' answer.

Those types fall off very quickly, as they tend to get dog piled upon.

You don't really need much equipment to get started. Just get youself a good pair of monitor, audio interface, midi controller, then get the Kontakt Komplete bundle. That's everything you need right there.

Back