What Is A Producer

gullyjewelz

I Ask This Seemingly Simple Question Because I Have Begun Working With A Few People As A Recording Engineer.

However, In My Opinioni, They're Recording Sessions Are Not Churning Out Too Great Of A Product -- In My Opinion, Obviously. At First, They Did Not Ask Me Any Thing Regarding My Opinioni. However After Like The Third Session, They Wanted To Know My Opinion.

I Held Back. I Bit My Tongue. I Kept It Close To The Cuff.
For One, I Didn't Want To Cut Out My Money . . . I Am Providing The Recording Service, After All.

Should I Make Suggestions? Or Is That A Producer's Job?

Why are you capitalizing the first letter of each word in your post? :confused:

Was that the very long title of your new novel? ;)

gullyjewelz said:
I Ask This Seemingly Simple Question Because I Have Begun Working With A Few People As A Recording Engineer.

However, In My Opinioni, They're Recording Sessions Are Not Churning Out Too Great Of A Product -- In My Opinion, Obviously. At First, They Did Not Ask Me Any Thing Regarding My Opinioni. However After Like The Third Session, They Wanted To Know My Opinion.

I Held Back. I Bit My Tongue. I Kept It Close To The Cuff.
For One, I Didn't Want To Cut Out My Money . . . I Am Providing The Recording Service, After All.

Should I Make Suggestions? Or Is That A Producer's Job?

If you put in any suggestions you should get paid for it, That is what the producer does, he/she moreless takes control on the direction of the song in question...... If they are only paying you to record dont put any input unless they agree to pay for a producers sevices.... unless these are your friends...

Here is my understanding of a producer

a music producer arranges the music; he brings together different instruments and choreographs the separate melodies into a song. You have your producer A (timberland), who can take different instruments live/and or electronic and create a song and you have your producer B (puff daddy) who brings other musicians together to play different instruments and choreograph the separate melodies into a song. The major difference is that, one producer A can translate his ideas into a song on his own, and producer B hires someone to translate his ideas into a song for him. To make it short and sweet, a producer brings together the necessary elements that it takes to create the finished product.

If you suggest one thing to those guys then you are co- producing the song, it doesn't matter if you suggested that they substitute the snare for a clap. A lot of engineers are weary of offering advice because, it's easy to offend the talent. You have to be very careful of how you suggest things, because an artists feelings can be hurt and two you will be entitled to credit and royalties if they follow your advice. You don't have to receive this credit if you don't want it, but technically you've earned it.

I can dig up some info to back this up if you need me to.

I agree with what Carter said 100%. Producers have the responsibility of shaping all of the elements together and directing the whole project. Your job as a recording engineer is strictly to record the sounds. Also keep in mind that opinions are like asshole gully my friend, everyone has one. What might sound good for you may not be what the producer is wanting. I'm just saying don't overextend yourself and do the work for him unless they are good friends and actually value your opinion.

jugalo180 said:
Here is my understanding of a producer

a music producer arranges the music; he brings together different instruments and choreographs the separate melodies into a song. You have your producer A (timberland), who can take different instruments live/and or electronic and create a song and you have your producer B (puff daddy) who brings other musicians together to play different instruments and choreograph the separate melodies into a song. The major difference is that, one producer A can translate his ideas into a song on his own, and producer B hires someone to translate his ideas into a song for him. To make it short and sweet, a producer brings together the necessary elements that it takes to create the finished product.

If you suggest one thing to those guys then you are co- producing the song, it doesn't matter if you suggested that they substitute the snare for a clap. A lot of engineers are weary of offering advice because, it's easy to offend the talent. You have to be very careful of how you suggest things, because an artists feelings can be hurt and two you will be entitled to credit and royalties if they follow your advice. You don't have to receive this credit if you don't want it, but technically you've earned it.

I can dig up some info to back this up if you need me to.

Thanks J for expanding my short answer. that should be good info for him!!!

i feel all the good advice -- in fact -- i have the same position on this subject -- the hard thing is trying to figure out how to communicate these issues to the artists . . . we are . . . associates of one antoher and there is some friend-type bonds . . . i.e. tlhe artists are very close friends with two of my brothers and i have know one of them for quite a while . . . i think they are very new to the recording process but goin into all this with them . . .i would certainly want producer's credits!!!!!

gullyjewelz said:
i feel all the good advice -- in fact -- i have the same position on this subject -- the hard thing is trying to figure out how to communicate these issues to the artists . . . we are . . . associates of one antoher and there is some friend-type bonds . . . i.e. tlhe artists are very close friends with two of my brothers and i have know one of them for quite a while . . . i think they are very new to the recording process but goin into all this with them . . .i would certainly want producer's credits!!!!!

Come straight out and tell them how you feel. It's the best thing for them really. Artists feelings get hurt all the time by producers thats the bad part of the trade. The thing is whether you recorded, produced it, arranged it, or whatever when someone else hears the joint they are gonna hear what you did to it. I know when folks hear something I had anything to do with they at least have something positive to say about it. I work with several artists many are tighter than myself production and lyric wise but I still have to tell them to "pump them brakes" when they come to a session with something that's not up to their potential. Alot of times it's just what they need to bring them back down to earth and then the next session they bring there best stuff you have ever heard.

On the paying tip you should really ask them what they want do they want you to co produce the track or what? Be up front and honest with them about it so they can tell you right there what they want. This is all apart of good customer service. Always find out what the customer wants so it's clear what they want you to do.

What a producer does.......per Ren & Stimpy!
The producer tells the artist what to do, when to do it and how to do it and then takes all the credit for himself!

mr. produca on producers

what jpw23 said :D .me growing up around hip hop I always thought the producer was the guy who made the tracks and everything.boy was i wrong.ill stop now cause i really cant answer your question/s. very nicely put though.
mr. produca
peace!

Back