Trick For Adding Warmth to a Mix

bknot1

Hustle Magic!! We Got It.
This was posted on another board..good look to PhonoquO at GearSlutz..

I stumbled across this the other day. Normally in a mix i would start by highpass filtering all my tracks to remove unwanted lows and proceed with leveling and pan, and then parametric and shelving tweeks, BUT rarely ever touching the Lowpass filters (unless it was really called for). So i'd read that in digital recordings of high resolution there are alot of high frequencies that may be captured that are inaudible and/or of no use, especially those generated by internal software VSTi's etc. I've been loving the sonalksis eq and decided to apply lowpass filters on the top ends of all my tracks, slowly scaling back until i could hear an obvious effect on the high freq's. Sure enough, after having done that on all my tracks, for 1. My mix sounded much warmer, 2. Had better depth, 3. had a better stereo perception.

Just thought i'd throw that at everybody to try. ITB mixing is tricky, but slowly i'm figuring out ways to make it sound right.

peace

I don't run Low Pass filters generally speaking. There's no "general" way of doing things. It honestly sound like this guy doesn't know how to mix. You can't just "always" do something in each mix. Each song is different, and requires different mixing techniques and settings. While one song may need a low pass filter, the next may not. Doing the same thing to every track in a mix, is not smart at all... This is like saying there is a guideline you can follow to make every mix sound great... an "out of the box" magical mixing tutorial or something. Trust me, it's not happening.

no he doesnt do it for every song..he was tryin something different and it work on the project he was doing....but trust me he knows how to mix.. its a Trick he did to add warmth to what he was working on and got good results...

just sharing some out of the box thinking...:D

Back