Traktor Users

Devilfire

I need advice on this fantastic piece of software , i used to play with dj'ing using turntables awhile back but i wanna use tracktor
anyway

if any of you use it , just let me know how you feel about the software , what you use it for , what your setup is like...etc

peace

I fucked with FS a bit, kinda cool, but a bit limiting for my personal uses. Traktor makes for some nifty shit, but IMHO makes for some not-so-nifty "djs" to come off far more skilled than they really are.

This part kinda scares me...

"... one touch loops, automatic beat matching and scratch presets are the secrets of TRAKTOR DJ - the perfect fun machine..."

I've been seriously considering adding a Traktor FS setup to my arsenal (I guess that doesn't interest you if you don't wanna fuck with turntables), I think it'll be cool to travel with it, but I'll still be carrying crates of wax - in case the computer fries & cuz I'ma disc jockey besides all that computer crap. And, the fact that it (traktor FS) runs on linux boxes (read: cheap, fast, and sans microsoft) makes me a real believer.

My problem is that I really dig getting freaky live & maybe something like Ableton Live would better suit my purposes.

The time I experimented with Traktor, it was cool, but it did offend my dj sensibilities (we all got our hang-ups, right?). And, despite what so many believe, I can't swallow DJing without actually having to mix the joints yourself. Not bashing the next cat's creativity, but half the battle is having nasty-assed hand-eye coordination and being able to make the records bend to one's will. Using software alone isn't jockeying discs, feel me? It is blending tracks, but it ain't mixing records. Therein, for me, lies the difference...

That being said, it pretty much does what it says it'll do. Have you downloaded the demo?

How I would use the software:

In a live set-up with Final Scratch 1.1...traktor supplying the filters & eq (on-the-fly programmable bliss)... loops I'll do by hand 'til the arthritis kicks in, run this alongside my RS 7000, additional turntable, & The Supreme Ass-kickin' Drum Weapon (Electron Machinedrum)... 4 channel almost-battle style mixer (x-9) (can't juggle & trick for shit on them long-assed 19 inch "club" mixers)...

Been kind of holding out hoping for improvments with FS's fragile, finicky 2-bullshit-input, scratchy-sounding Scratch Amp (a.k.a. "dongle"). Hate that Traktor only lets you fuck with 2 audio tracks at a time - pretty stupid considering it's software, but cool since I'd happily use my 3rd wheel with it.

Sorry I can't explain more, I've only spent about 7-8 hours fucking with Traktor & FS. Maybe you should check the Traktor forums & FS forums. Fair amount of info there, as always, take with a grain of salt.

<after reading what I just wrote, maybe Ableton is better for my purposes - hmmmmmmmm...>

Oh, and all that shit about forgetting about turntable emulation to be free of its' limitations - bah humbug. One can surely do what one wills, but don't call it djing. btw-my negative comments aren't directed at you Devilfire, just a touchy subject for us wax junkies...

My next trick: 5 live inputs into a 4 input mixer...

diendolo

Back