Switch Styles

NickSpringfield

Anyone here find it nearly impossible to switch styles of music (beat wise)? I have two extremes in my music. I can make an incredibly happy song, or an incredibly depressing song. Most of my happy beats are piano based and the depressing ones are, obviously, orchestra related. I rarely sample anymore, so I play all my own stuff, but I keep falling into the same old cycle. I find it very hard to find a happy medium, so recently I've been switching beats up completely during songs (minus the drum pattern; different sounds). Occassionlly I'll stuble accross a normal sounding beat, but I guess it's my fascination with dramatic songs that has me in this cycle.

Just a thought as I just tonight set out to do a song with a clear image in my mind and it ended up completely different. Probably unrappable. Most of my stuff ends up sounding like a movie score, lol. Heh, maybe there's a future there for me.

Anyone else seem to fall into a "cycle" when making music?

-Springfield

everyone does go listen to a cd produced by one producer and hear how similar the beats are. Its your style, why change it if it doesnt suck?

its normal

its perfectly normal what u are going thru, my suggestion is find some accapellas to work with, loop the hook, then build your track around that, then get rid of the sample, this will get you away from using the same tempo and the same instruments, thats one of my favorites ways to break writers (producers) block.

Back