Studio Projects B1 w/stand and pop filter
12 x 7 ft recording space
Adobe Audition 1.5
mixing and mastering skills
DJ'ing skills
Audiophile 2496 Sound card
DVD burner

so what should I charge per hour?

Well I wouldn't base your pricing on how much or what type of equipment you have, but more so on your recording and mixing abilities. If I was a singer/rapper and someone offered to record me on their Pro Tools HD3 system for an hourly fee, I wouldn't give a damn if they didn't know how to use it. Do you already have a reputation in your area for making quality recordings? Will you be putting a lot of time in mixing the project when the band or artist isn't present? Do you know how much others like yourself are charging in your area?

These are the kinds of questions I would consider when deciding an hourly rate.

Listen to Rhythm...he makes some damn valid points. Never base pricing based on your equipment. It doesn't matter what you have as long as you can make hits and keep people comin' back.

everyone round my way charges between 35 - 60 bucks/hour . . . each spot's set up is entirely different, tlhough!!!!

I think it depends on what you've got. I mean if I see someone selling beats too cheap (say $10 or $20) and with no samples...I'm thinking it's probably garbage (but these days you NEVER know). I let the samples speak for themselves. If you're going to sell in between the $35 to $60 range, then it'd be smart to sell that as a leasing fee. And dammit soundclick went down again. I plan to sell mine for $40 and then sell the licensing for $150. Custom beats go for $400 and I'm working on different arrangement packages as well.

Wait...I'm a dumbass....I was thinking beats and not studio time. $35 to $60 an hour is decent for that, but the same thing applies. If I saw someone do it under that, I'd want to hear samples of their past work first. I've heard people using N-Track and a bunch of freeware make songs that were produced better than some producers using Pro Tools systems with some of the "best" gear. It's all about what you know how to do.

Never base it on Equipment you have. I have plenty of equipment, but the market where I am, is slim. There's a few artists here that use my studio, and I charge about $30 an hour for recording, and about $50 an hour for mixing/mastering.

You can claim you have skills mixing and mastering, but do you have proof? Do you have a list of clients who've used your services, and will vouch for your product?

I did quite a few free projects for artists, so I could build clientelle, and product. It's a living resume that I'm able to show prospective clients as proof of my abilities.

I also work out deals, based on the amount of recording/mixing/mastering they need. If they want to do an entire project in my studio, I'll cut them a crazy deal, because I know I'm in control of the entire process.

If I'm mastering someone's project which is already mixed, I'll charge them by the hour. No discount... unless I know them.

Every situation is different, but the main thing to remember is, do you have proof of your abilities and the quality of product? If so, you can charge whatever the going rate is in your area... If not, you need to build up clientelle and product before you can start making any coin.

I don't know about you guys, but if any of you have your studio in your house, does it bother you that people walk in and out of there? I may produce a few people here and there, but I know them and they're all associated with the label I plan to start. I just hate the idea of having people just come over (even if there are appointments set). I think when I decide charging for studio time is something I want to advertise, I can rent some office space and have it soundproofed with acoustic foam or buy a small booth.

thank ya'll alot, good info...I do have some good skills, but Ima have to do like ya'll said and build a reputation by doin some free stuff, so yeah thanks for the advice

If you're going to go that route...I'd protect yourself by owning partial rights to the track so if they get paid off it you can too. Most people wouldn't mind signing some paperwork for a cheap price. They can own the lyrics and the beat (if they supplied it to you).

I do that for the my artist and record them free. I just get cd sales. Then again you must be doing this for a living? Its fun to me.

RobertN said:
I do that for the my artist and record them free. I just get cd sales. Then again you must be doing this for a living? Its fun to me.

Actually, I'm getting set up to do this on the side of my day time job. I do this for fun and for extra money at times. I do have some artists that I work with that are exclusively working for the label I'm setting up. Those guys I'll record for free because I know what I'm dealing with. I don't do studio time because I don't want people in my house at all and I don't feel like renting out office space. My main thing is going to be online beat sales and collaborations with other people while I record my own and my artists' CDs.

I thought if I set something up on the side while I'm licensed, I can make money to put back into my studio and get better gear without having to fish as much out of my own pocket and setting some aside as well. It's a long process, but since I have what I need to do beats than it's not that big of a deal.

Back