stolen beats

TelePaul

J to the R O C
Funny story guys. As you know I don't make beats per se, I like my rock and my folk. But I got talking to a guy in my school, he likes rap and asked could I make a beat. I said I'd try.

What I came up with was terrible in comparison to what you guys make! Pure crap. But he rapped over it and we had a few laughs. Now I see he's trying to sell the songs on the net....not the beats, but the complete raps. I'll be really surprised if he sells anything but I was given no credit for mixing or coming up with the beats.

I guess it's the principle of the thing, but it's kind of annoying. Lesson learned though; don't do anything for free!

Talk To Him. If Yall Really Friends Just A Honest Conversation Should Fix That. If Talk Dont Work . . . There Are Other Things . . . Esp. If He Sellin It Online - U Can Track His Sales N Have A Lawyer Git At Em
Lol

A Friendly Convo Should Do It Though . . .

I know a million stories of how friendly collabs turn ugly! I think, for the most part, the way collabs are done here, it's pretty much Understood that credit goes where credit is due! Because there are some sheisty cats in here too! But dot the I's and cross the T's.........................Even if it's Fam, Fam!!!!

its really up to you ...if you feel the beats was to bad to take credit for it..just let it go..if you feel you should be credited for the beat, ask/tell him that he need to credit you on the song or you will submit a cease and desist letter to him...it no reason to sue someone that doesnt have money or that havent made millions of dollars..sueing someone with no money will get you no money...

its up to you if you want credit for the work or not..

Shit I even make close friends that I record work for sign paper off the jump. Friends or not, what happens in the studio is all business. Even if they just wanna make something to show off to their friends, I'll make em put in paperwork AND/OR throw in a verse with them, making sure that my name gets in there somehow for credit.

i recorded for this dude this weekend - he seem to be cool people - n i usually record for free (sort of) the dude makes beats so he throw me a few beats, i record a few songs . . .

now he told me that he has a sister that works for universal - obviously i want that connect - but how in the hell do i go for it - and still "preserve" the working relationship we got . . . (C. it a be easy if i was "down" for a long time, but i only known him for like 6 - 8 months . . . )

she what he wants to do...tell him you would like to make music to use to connect with his sister..showcase his work while you showcasing your work to try to get notice..if he is being real..pretty much a Spec Deal (no money involved until you are signed to a label and have a 12 month term on the agreement..and if you get signed throught his connect (his sister an Universial) we gets paid $XXXXX for the beats..and maybe 1-3 tracks on the album release..

just talk to see what he wants to do ..he said he had a connect for some reason..

Thanks for the honest advice guys. I'm not too mad because the beats aren't great...but they were pretty rough mixes, weren't mastered....it just bothers me that someone is trying to push a sub standard product on the net to make a qucik buck. Independent online music stores suck.

people will always try to make a dime...

this is whats needed to get hime to come back to you for better work..you get everyone hit up his site and tell him the sh!t is garabage that he trying to sel then he will come back to you complaining to fix it..:D

I know its hard sometimes. But direct confrontation (not with fists or hard words) usually do the trick. Most people are open for reasoning. Its what they been taught to do in schools and such.

If not, be glad it couldve been worse! ie. You made a major pumping nod-factor beat and he got away with it! :eek:

It's all about business before friendship. It don't matter if you have business to take care of, you still can keep the frienship.

But, you just tell your friend that you hooked him up so the only right thing to due is give you credit. Sometimes people just don't think about that and then they will go, "Oh ya, my bad I don't know how I get that go by me."

Before you ever do any production with anyone for money or free, type out a small contract (nothing big) stating you will get credit and include your publishing and label and so on. Then both sign it and have fun producing. Nothing ever moves to the next step until business is done first. Business first then comes the fun and colab.

I even due contracts with long time friends that want to invest into the business. It's the way it is. I've even had to let friends go in the business. But, we still good friends, but it's the business side I will never deal wth them again. And they understand that and know it was on them. So it's all good.

gullyjewelz said:
i recorded for this dude this weekend - he seem to be cool people - n i usually record for free (sort of) the dude makes beats so he throw me a few beats, i record a few songs . . .

now he told me that he has a sister that works for universal - obviously i want that connect - but how in the hell do i go for it - and still "preserve" the working relationship we got . . . (C. it a be easy if i was "down" for a long time, but i only known him for like 6 - 8 months . . . )

I'd say go in as a team effort...he makes the beats, you drop the lyrics. If they go for one of you, get on a level where you can get him in (or vice versa). People are more willing to play along if they see it as a team effort and not selfish bullshit. Oh and GJ check your Breadwinnaz MySpace.

Last edited:
Back