??Soundclick??

Trumpspade

I'M BLESSED.......
I am posting this here because I see many people use soundclick for musical exposure. Anyway, how much, if any, do you think posting on Soundclick will come into play in regards to copyright material. Basically, if your music Is Not copywritten and you find someone biting the F*ck out of your Sh*t,I mean down to the background noise, I know legally you can't do jack because you chose not to handle your Bizzo. But can they straight claim it as their own legally? Even if it was proven that they are not the originators? You can't sue them, I know! But can they claim the song?

I know there is a lot of talk about getting your works copyrighted NO MATTER what else you do. Because that is the only way to be sure. If you copyright several as a work, it will save a lot of money...This is all I can tell you for now...Get them copyrighted... :)

true-eurt said:
I know there is a lot of talk about getting your works copyrighted NO MATTER what else you do. Because that is the only way to be sure. If you copyright several as a work, it will save a lot of money...This is all I can tell you for now...Get them copyrighted... :)
I agree there. Your music is copywrited as soon as you put the pen down. Or as soon as you finish recording it if it was improved from the moment you hit the record button. Proving it can only be done if you register it with the copyright office. Other than that, you are chancing it.
There is an implied licence involved with soundclick, but it won't help you much. If you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you posted it there before said person stole it, you may have a chance. But if they copyrighted it before they published it, your chance goes out the window. You will gain nothing in court, and even if you win, the cost of the court battle will probably not be worth the trouble.

true-eurt said:

I am not debating if you should or should not get your music copywritten, I do understand that fully. I am just curious that, if one slips through the cracks, and you can provide proof that you wrote it but failed to copyright it, could someone else claim the song as their own if they copyright it? Again, I know you have no legal grounds for suing, but can they legally claim a song that is proven that they didn't create? Just curious!

i think they can claim it as theirs if they have the copyright of the work, and if you happen to get a copyright it would be a matter of who got it first

Yeah I agree with Les on this one. The person that is claiming the work has to have proof it is theirs. If somebody in the major industry stole your joint even if they got the copyright first I would still take them to court I mean it's a small chance you could win if you can convince the court they stole it from you. here's a good article you should read.

Copyright Myths

chalin27 said:
Yeah I agree with Les on this one. The person that is claiming the work has to have proof it is theirs. If somebody in the major industry stole your joint even if they got the copyright first I would still take them to court I mean it's a small chance you could win if you can convince the court they stole it from you. here's a good article you should read.

Copyright Myths

That is an interesting article!
But you're more so answering my question. All I am simply asking is "If your work is not copywritten and you have proof, whatever that proof may be, that you are the sole originator, can someone else copyright it legally and claim it as their own"?
To me, that is a false claim of ownership, and should be punishable by law!

a proof is a proof, principles don't apply

if you talking about poor man copyright , i.e mailing yourself a copy of the song and not opening it then, that will stand in court based on the US poste office stamp alone. but if you think of getting some judge to listen to your version of the song outta ur pc then you loose.

Trumpspade said:
All I am simply asking is "If your work is not copywritten and you have proof, whatever that proof may be, that you are the sole originator, can someone else copyright it legally and claim it as their own"?
To me, that is a false claim of ownership, and should be punishable by law!

what proof do you have..you could of made it first but if you dont have a copy on file at the LOC(library of congress) and his copy work is..its nothing you can say or do to..PERIOD...

to sue someone for copyright infragment you will need to have your work copywritten and on file..PERIOD.. nothing else will hold up in a court of law..

i hope this answers your question

First he's not thinking of not doing a copyright. Getting you stuff copywritten is a no brainer. He's saying that if someone else copyrights your stuff before you is that the end? Even if they make 50 mil you should just take that as your own mistake. That's the perfect way to let the system take advatange of you. What if the guy at the post office steals your stuff while your sending it to be copywritten. Trust me there are thieves in the world lol. anywho are you just gonna say well he beat me to copyrighting it so it's his he wins lol.
I doubt anyone here wouldnt at least try especially if they made a mil off your joint. It's not just Black and White things in law arent like that you can sue if you want and winning just depends on what you do to conivince the courts. Like for an example Lauryn hills band sued her because she claim most of thier music. Again no one is saying you shouldn't get your work copywritten. What we are saying is that just because they beat you to it doesnt meant the fight is lost.

i understand what hes sayin..and yes he can fight it..create all the legal fees tryin to prove its his work..but it all goin to boil down the the copyrights date on file..last i checked on soundclick it doest list the exact date you uploaded the song..but let me check real quick..cause if they do then you have a little leg to stand on..

aiight soundclick does let you know when you uploaded your music..so for now that will work until you get your music copywritten..

You're right in what I was trying to say Chalin..........................
The Copywritten thing is a no brainer. Whoever beats you to the rights, as far as legally owning a song is what I am on. I think it is a frivilous claim to assume the creation of something that you didn't create. I think that is straight up stealing and there ought to be a some type of counter suit that should be imposed, if there isn't already one out there!
Not copyrighting something is wrong on your part, but just because you didn't copyright does not mean it's out for the whoever to grab and claim as their own.
If I leave my car door open, with keys in it, it is stupid of me. But if someone gets in, steals my sh*t, and try to register it, they'll get in trouble because that is a CRIME. My only crime would be STUPIDITY!!!

Feel me?

Back