sound module

tj jr.

what sound module would you recommend for makin drum tracks? with the broadest overall abilities. I already have a good hardware sequencer. I have the rm1x , and an mp7 emu. Im thinking of selling the mp7. I was looking to buy a module with good sounds. Should i buy the mo phatt ? ,,,, what else is there?
?
tj jr.

p.s. I know the mp7 is the mo phatt sound set,,, I was gonna sell that and get something else,, i guess i was wondering if i should just get the mo phatt module or somethin else.

Tj Jr,

I don't think you're going to find a dedicated drum module that will have you covered. I mean as far as modules go, currently there really only is the Alesis DM Pro, the Roland TD units and the Waldorf Rack Attack. I would never recommend Alesis drum sounds and the DM Pro is made to be used with a electronic drum kit. The Roland modules are quite expensive and are also made to be used with drum kits. The Rack Attack is $600 and could be purchased as a VST so the price tag is not justified unless you don't own a computer.

There are very capable drum machines out there like the Electron Machinedrum, Vermona DRM-1 and Jomox Airbase but these are all in the neighborhood of $1000 if not more.

I would suggest purchasing a sampler and start amassing a library of sounds that you can freely download from various places on the net. You can find used Akai, Emu and Ensoniq stuff real cheap that is still viable for drum sounds. This way your sounds are never outdated as you can always just sample or download new ones.

Hope this helps.

Stray

i have an akai s2000 , but i would like to have a sampler that uses waves. Any inexpensive ones you could think of? As far as stand alone consoles,,, I know i couldnt rely on just one piece. I was looking for something with a big bang for the buck though. i got a few sample cds for the s2000. scandisk has some nice ones. I got 3 from them. there mostly loops though, I like kits. Its hard to find nice up to date kits with phatt drums and nice snares. I have a vintage cd.

How do you record your beats? I mean do you record the snare and the kicks on the same track? or are all the sounds on different tracks? I was thinking about getting a sound card with multiple inputs. like the delta 66,, but i would have to find out if it is compatible with an athlon , asus k7v mobo. Im goin off track here..
Tj jr.

i have an akai s2000 , but i would like to have a sampler that uses waves. Any inexpensive ones you could think of? As far as stand alone consoles,,, I know i couldnt rely on just one piece. I was looking for something with a big bang for the buck though. i got a few sample cds for the s2000. scandisk has some nice ones. I got 3 from them. there mostly loops though, I like kits. Its hard to find nice up to date kits with phatt drums and nice snares. I have a vintage cd.

How do you record your beats? I mean do you record the snare and the kicks on the same track? or are all the sounds on different tracks? I was thinking about getting a sound card with multiple inputs. like the delta 66,, but i would have to find out if it is compatible with an athlon , asus k7v mobo. Im goin off track here..
Tj jr.

TJ Jr.,

The S2000 is what I use for drums. This sampler can't directly deal with wavs but there is a program for PC called MESA that allows you to import wavs from the PC into the S2000. You'll need to add a PCI SCSI card, but these are real cheap. The program is free and is available at: www.Akaipro.com. I'm using the software with Millenium, I'm not sure if it's compatible with 2000 or XP.

As far as samples, there are tons of up-to-date samples for free download online. Start here: www.samplearena.com, click on the section labeled SITES and you'll find over 100 sites all offering free samples. There is a link you'll find on that site called Kalava, or something close to that. The drums on that site are the bomb, they have sample packs from the Roland XV-5080 and all the legacy Roland drum machines.

As far as recording beats I personally record drums on one track, although occasionally I'll add a percussion section on another track. I do this because my sequencer only has 8 available tracks, and in that I'm a drummer I like to play the parts out live. If you take sounds into the sampler and tweak them before using them you won't need to separate the tracks for recording because they will already be where you want them to be as far as processing is concerned.

Hope this helps.

Stray

Back