so this is my first hiphop song

erik_ande_85

First of all i have to say that and don't really litsen to this kind of music, i'm a rock n roll guy. But i thought it would be a fun experiment to make something different.

My friend, who also is a rocksinger is going to rap on this.

I would like you guys to give me some input on the song before the vocals are recorded.

How is a rapsong usually built? Solid beat and melody thoughout the song?
one rap part and one kind of catchy vocal melody chours?

just give me any tip you want!

http://www.box.net/shared/otjd64v7ps

First you need to liaten to many different forms of rap and one thing that stands out is the drums..........Gotta have drums man, then build up the track. MAny people don't like this theory, but if you're serious and not kidding. Try emulating some of the old simple forms of rap and that would be a good foundation to start. Then once you get that feel, incorporate your own feel..................

teh drums are ghost!!! lost like that tvshow - but the melody is actually pretty good - it needs more to it though - its a good start!!!! but there needs to be more drumz, more "flava" added - like add another melody adn have them goin back n forth between the original melody and a second one . . then really jazz it up n add some strings for the hook - but on the real - i like the melody that you have here with the . . violin or whatever that is!!

gullyjewelz said:
teh drums are ghost!!! lost like that tvshow - but the melody is actually pretty good - it needs more to it though - its a good start!!!! but there needs to be more drumz, more "flava" added - like add another melody adn have them goin back n forth between the original melody and a second one . . then really jazz it up n add some strings for the hook - but on the real - i like the melody that you have here with the . . violin or whatever that is!!

first usefull post. thank you.

did you listen to the whole track, or at least until the drums kicks in in halfway through the track?

should i use same instrument to the other melody aswell?

DesertEase said:
i didn't listen to it yet but why would you have your drums kick in half way through the song?

not halfway through the song, halfway through the track, the track is only 1:12 and not finished. it is suspoused to be some kind of intro.

erik_ande_85 said:
first usefull post. thank you.

did you listen to the whole track, or at least until the drums kicks in in halfway through the track?

should i use same instrument to the other melody aswell?

It may be the first useful post to you, but you have a loooong way to go before you even scratch the surface. I don't think you take criticism well and that will be your biggest roadblock. If people are trying to help you, stop looking for what you wanna hear!
You're a ROOKIE, so you should accept all the help you can get! :rolleyes:

Trumpspade said:
It may be the first useful post to you, but you have a loooong way to go before you even scratch the surface. I don't think you take criticism well and that will be your biggest roadblock. If people are trying to help you, stop looking for what you wanna hear!
You're a ROOKIE, so you should accept all the help you can get! :rolleyes:

i'm sorry your post was also in good about the drums and how to bulid up.

i can take criticism and this isn't the first song i've done, just the first hip hop kind of song. BTW i don't intend to scratch any surface in the hiphop scene anyway.

it's cool lad, i am very aware of my limits ;)

DesertEase said:
i didn't listen to it yet but why would you have your drums kick in half way through the song?

its nothing wrong with that..I know I have a beat tracked out that way..:D its more for R&B...Soul 2 Soul did it with their remix to "Back to Life" ..

erik you should sign up for Soundclick so more of use will review your work...most of us don't visit site we dont know..and most of us work for the government..so alot of site are being blocked..

I WILL HAVE TO LISTEN AGAIN, WHEN IM AT A CPU THAT ALLOWS SUCH!! (LOL)

BUT I BELEIVE I HEARD THE ENTIRE TRACK . . I WOULD PROBABLY GO WITH ANOTHER INSTRUMENT FOR THE NEW MELODY . . . JUST TO HAVE A "NEWNESS" TO IT - . . . . (this next statement may make no sense . . .but i sometimes think of what to add to a song based on how it would sound if the local high school band were going to play it . . . then you would want several instruments being able to "grab" pieces of the song for their own . . . )

Back