Selling Beats/Tracks

bknot1

Hustle Magic!! We Got It.
Alright i feel like i should give some information on what should be discussed in a wriiten agreement when sellin tracks/beats..

here is a simplified list..

- Is the beat being sold or leased?

- How Long is the artist entitled to use the beat?

- How Much Money do you get for the use of the beat by the artist?

- Who owns the masters?

- Will you retain your publishing?

- If leasing the beat, are you entitled to produce the artist on a later album?

- If there are sample, who is going to clear them?

also keep a Catalog of your beats..like the beat name/beat #/artist/sell or lease/date/writer split/label so you can know where your music is at if you need to collect royalities or have to sue ..and always copyright your work..and never, ever sell your beats/track outright..

bknot1 said:
also keep a Catalog of your beats..like the beat name/beat #/artist/sell or lease/date/writer split/label so you can know where your music is at if you need to collect royalities or have to sue ..and always copyright your work..and never, ever sell your beats/track outright..

This last part is the code I live by. Some say it's not fair but hey it's business. I have leased a track to a max of 3 folks before and and only one of the 3 did something with it. I've leased tracks for my brother that are like hit makers and nothing has happen with them. Always keep ya rights because what's old to you may be new to star. I lease cheap too because I tell you I had a guy call me for a track that I have used before on my own LP. So trust me folks in the biz dont care if it's been used before if they have never heard it before it's new to them.

bump..to give newbies things to consider..when sellin/licensing tracks/beats

lol i got all the logistics for selling beats i just need to get some clients now..... i havent been able to find anybody willing to pay for beats yet lol everybody want freebe's but a cat like me need cake

I know I have given freebies as long as im credited with the track and given a shout out for the tracks...

i network all over the place lookin for serious artist that are lookin for tracks for their projects that are paying.. or i get client that have always listen to my tracks..and now they got a indie deal or finally got some money for tracks...also work out the price with your client..you can always take something lower...

get them on the phone so they can here the better version if you put a less quality on the net(something i do) then they hear it and be like..dont that sounds good..

here is a simplified list..

- Is the beat being sold or leased?

- How Long is the artist entitled to use the beat?

- How Much Money do you get for the use of the beat by the artist?

- Who owns the masters?

- Will you retain your publishing?

- If leasing the beat, are you entitled to produce the artist on a later album?

- If there are sample, who is going to clear them?

things to remeber..

Back