sampling

I do both…I’ve composed for 4 or 5 years….only been sampling for about a year.

No…I don’t think either one is more creative. Sure, grabbing a loop and throwing some drums to it is simple and not very creative. But neither is replaying a pre-existing melody and adding a drum line.

They both allow a lot of room for creativity…..but neither one requires it. It’s all up to the producer.

I agree with stray411. Neither of them surpasses the other.
I've been doing music for 7-8 years now, and only in 2005 I started sampling stuff. It all depends on what type of style you're lookin' for.
At times I compose something for myself. Something orchestral, then I sample that...it guarantees me a uniqe beat.

-Nito

yeah...in my opinion taking a sample to bend and mold it using effects and filters to make it sound like a fresh sound is just as good as creating it yourself.

I like composing. I like chopping. I like looping...whatever works.

As for chopping: FUCK chopping just for the hell of it... I think that's just plain stupid...people will take a really great loop and chop it up anyway so they can say: "hey I didn't take the easy route, I chopped it up!"

If it's ill, it's ill.

I started out sampling, you know just off of loop cd's and stuff and then got into sampling older songs and stuff. I got out of that phase for about 2 years and just did all original music, but recently I've been listening to some old ass songs from the 50's or so and have been sampling from them. I love that old sound with the orchestras and stuff.

As for is it creative, I think Stray said it best. Music is only as creative as the person making it.

-Springfield

Back