sampler setup s2000

tj jr.

i just purchased an akai s2000 and i have an rm1x. how do i set em up together? what do i change in setup of the rm1x ? i got a midi cable. do i just plug it in and go? how do i operate the sampler with the rm1x?? any body with either or both of these pieces of equiptment please give me some advise.

thanx in advance.

I don't have an rm1x, and I'm not sure what it is(keyboard? sequencer?) I do have an s2000.

Sounds like you wanna control the s2000 w/ the rm1x. Midi should go as follows: Sequencer midi in and out to controller(rm1x?). Sequencer midi out to input of s2000. If the rm1x has a sequencer in it, just run the output of the rm1x to the input of the s2000.

The s2000 operates w/ general midi on channel 1, so if you sample something and want to play it right away, use midi channel one on the sequencer and que the sound via your controller. Once you start making programs w/ the s2000 you can assign whatever midi channel you want to any program. For the s2000 to be multi timbral you have to put your samples into programs.

Holla back if you have any questions. Hope this helped.

Peace.

yeah,, you got me started .. thankx,,, . now im havin problems though. i want to assign different sounds to different keys. i can make a program with "single" then from there im havin problems. ive read the manual up and down. i want to use the thing as a drum machine and have a bunch of sounds. i can get one sound up and down the keyboard,,but thats not what i want. ..
please help,,
thankx in advance,
tj

In single edit mode you have to create key groups. Then you specify samples you've made to these key groups. I'm not @ my studio right now, but tommorow I will update you with some specifics and where in the mannual you can get started. It took me a while to figure out(the mannual is organized ass backwards).

thats great,, i appreciate it! I figured out how to set up multis and things are lookin good. i even figured out how to record my own samples with "arm". But im still interested in what you were gona explain about the keygroups and assigning different sounds to one channel. Ive tryed,,but i got weird results. i would set a zone to like C0 to C0 and get no sound or i would use a different setting other than the co like for example,, "e0" and others too. but got no sound or a distorded weird messed up sound on one perticular key. Also,, i noticed that when recording with "arm" is like a timer. once you set it off ,, it goes for like 3 seconds or so,, how do i make it record longer?? i have a full 32 megs of ram so space shouldnt be an issue. Im thinking of getting a zip drive ,, any info or tips??
thankx in advance,,
tj

sorry I forgot to update when I was @ the studio, and I'm not there right now.

To answer your questions:
When you go into "sample" as you scroll down you will see the option to set the length of the sample. spinn the data wheel to get more seconds, it will go as high as your RAM will allow.

About assigning samples to key groups. When you take a sample, unless you specify otherwise, the sample will be assigned to key c3. So if you assing this sample to keygroup c0 to c0 in single edit mode the samples pitch will be slowed way down because the original sample is up @ c3. You can either, in sample mode, tell the sampler to sample to the key you will assign in single edit mode before you sample it.... or in sample edit mode you can change the key you have the original sample on after you've sampled it.

I currently use a zip drive and it works fine for me(the zip drive has to be SCSI). Akia also has a program called MESA for editing and storing samples on your PC(you should of got the disk when you bought the s2000). Works with MACS, or if you have a PC you need a SCSI card. I currently edit my samples in wavelab, send them to the s2000 to make programs, and store them on zip disks.

I don't use multi on the s2000(never took the time to figure it out). But the s2000 is multi timbral without multi mode. Once you start making programs, you can assign them to whatever midi channel you want. So if your ram can hold 5 programs and all their samples, you can assign each program to whatever channel you want.

Back