Sample-based Hip Hop tips for building around drums on sample. (Add on if you can)

Emphasis

I recently started producing sample-based hip hop (Like 90's style golden age stuff)

I was wondering what other people's techniques were to building a drum track over the sample?

I'll start it off:

For example: Right now, I have a really kick ass sample on loop, but the drums on the original track are just too loud!!!

Two ways I've found to make the original drums less noticeable in a sample are:

1. Find out what beat(s) the kick and snare land on (in the original track), and play your kick and snare on the same beats. (this can be a little limiting, however, if you're trying to create syncopated rhythms, or deviate from the original drums)

2. Find your equalizer for the sample track, and bring down the levels on the lower frequencies. This is a cool technique, however, this may also affect the overall tonality of your sample. (It can be a little monotonous trying to find the sweet spot, where your bass, and other instruments on the sample aren't compromised too much, or too far from your liking).

Right I'm working on Garageband '11, and have found a few other ways to alter lower frequencies (with AU's). But since not everyone uses the same DAW, I thought I would just stick to 2 general tips for now. And let the rest of you provide general tips as well as tips for your DAW of choice.

(GB tips available upon request, to the best of my knowledge.
I should be upgrading to Logic Pro, Cubase, or Pro Tools soon. :)

Try chopping the sample up instead of looping it.

^this.
If you have an mpc or something w/pads, even a keyboard controller...try creating rhythmic arrangements with the chopped pieces as your starting point. That way you'll capture your own vibe rather than pulling a diddy. Personally I just bang around until the groove emerges, then tap tempo and capture it...whether beginning with a vocal, instrument or drum sample. Anything can be the cornerstone.

I have been chopping up samples as well (between Quarter and 16th notes typically, depending on the tracks bpm). I then program them into my midi controller through an effects track in garageband and go trigger happy with it! Lol

I do understand the concept of chopping up a sample. And really appreciate the advice... I don't think anyone really wants to be on that diddy tip...at least not consciously lol

This thread was aimed more towards the special occasion when you find a nice "turnaround" sample to transition back into your chorus/verse/ect

For Example: I've come across a few turnarounds that I really like. These are usually 2-4 beats long (common time). Within that 1/2 - 1 bar turnaround I'll typically have 4 hi hats, 2 kicks, and a snare that are louder than all my other chopped up samples (since the turn around bar is played in it's entirety as apposed to chopped up into smaller note values, it makes the percussion instruments a lot more noticeable within the sample...at least in my experience).

The two examples I gave in my original post have come in handy for me in situations like this. I wanted to see what other techniques other people in similar situations had come up with.

And I could see how chopping up a turnaround into smaller pieces would help too...But sometimes you just can't resist helping yourself to that one or two bar sample! Lol

Try chopping the sample, and truncating the drums out of each chop. Then play the samples in order. It may sound choppy, but it may work. Using this technique takes practice in order to get it to sound right. Building up the rest of the track, and mixing it just right helps mask the choppyness, but then again the choppyness may add to the track. Plus, if an MC is going to spit over it, that disguises it a bit more.

Back