roland fantom drums

buddyC

I have heard some absolutely praise the Roland Fantom x series and others say that it doesn't touch the other workstations. A couple of people don't like the drums for some reason. What do you guys think about the drums from what you know and have heard? My main concern is which board aloows for the best and most user freindly tweaking of the presets, so drums really isn't that much of a concern, but still, I would like the drums to be fresh and phat on whatever board I get. I am just about to get back into producing and buy another board - my last was an Ensoniq EPS(diss it if you want, but that thing or the EPS16+ are the shit if you are just starting) and I sold that about two years ago. So in conclusion, tell me what's wrong with Roland drums and talk me out of getting a Fantom X if there are any real reasons to not get one.

BuddyC,

if you like the phantom, buy it.

If you don't like the internal drums and can't use fx/eqs to set you straight, use that 500-something megabytes of ram to sample some from another source (or two, or three, or four, or five, or six...)

You shouldn't even give a shit about the internal drums sounds since you got an onboard sampler that can be expanded to all hell. Besides, the internal drums are probably stereo samples, and eat up a tick of polyphony - you can prolly live with kiks, snares, and shit being sampled mono, can't you? In most cases, I certainly can...

As for comparisons between that and other workstations, Does it really matter, yet? Unless you're kinda aware of specific needs of yours vs the next guy's, it really doesn't, I think. For free, I'd take any of them and bring the pain. All the big players' machines are hella good sounding (subjective, I know), and got loads of editability (is that a real word?), so just load up & go for 'delf.

Maybe some folks' opinions will differ from mine, but getting all caught up in gobbledy-gook when you're just browsing the table of contents to learn what the book is all about will probably serve every master but the one that should be served, in this case, you.

If you got specific questions about addressing stuff within the phantom (or any other board), then try to be more specific than just wanting the "most user freindly tweaking of the presets." Once you got your head wrapped around any of the keyboards' operating systems, you'll be all to the good.

Oh yeah, maybe more help for you in the keyboard forum...

wish i still had my EPS16+
I was a fool to get rid of it:(

good luck...

djfd

thanks for your input dolo. i was a little vague(like many who post) because i didn't have the time earlier. what i was getting at as far as "tweaking" is really just what board is generally considered to have the best options and features to screw with sounds and make them your own while minimizing headaches. believe me, i do have a good idea of what i want out of a board and the ability to easily alter the presets is something i am seeking. yep. i plan on making my own kits, but having tight dums on the board already to either layer or straight up use is a big plus. i will not rely on presets too much, as i come from the eps and i had to make most of my sounds anyway. i just figured as long as i am moving to a board with presets, i want one that i can easily f*** with. i don't even know how the fantom really sounds yet except for that demo online. i'm just researching and am intrigued by the fantom(maybe because it's something different than the other big two). guess i'm just looking for pros and cons for the moment from anyone who has personally checked the fantom x out. anybody who is just entering this production thing and wants a cheap board to start out with better learn from dolo's mistake and get/keep a 16+. they can be had for a little as $300 on ebay. tons of free sounds online. i am sure i will buy one after i get my big board. anyone who has had personal experience with the fantom s or x please let me know what you think. by the way. since the fantom has usb, can the akai mpd16 hook directly up to it and control the sounds? how good do those pads on the x feel and work?

buddyC said:
by the way. since the fantom has usb, can the akai mpd16 hook directly up to it and control the sounds?

Yup. In fact, if you use the MPD via midi you gotta buy an external power supply for it. It runs lovely via 1 usb cable, power comes from whatever machine you connect it to.

I've played with the fantom a few times, nothing too serious, but enough to know "it works." Again, you may bet better replies posting this in the keyboard forum...

djfd

Let me just first say that "easy" is as subjective as it gets. There's no magic workstation out there, and no matter which one you end up with, there's a learning curve.

That being said, any of the big workstations out there can be tweaked to hell. They're deep. I own all of them (for different reasons) and just recently received the Fantom X. The X is what the original fantom should've been at the get go. Sounds great and has a very intuitive interface. Very easy to get around, and the software editor is where it's at.

Motif is hard as hell, thus the http://www.motifator.com website brought by keyfax to support it a bit more. Yamaha's known for their hard as hell to learn interfaces, so at first you'll wish you'd slept with a hamster, but after you get the hang of it, you find out how deep the rabbit hole goes. The ES isn't any easier.

Triton's also have a steep curve at first, but again - a rather deep rabbit hole.

Kurzweil? Decent. Some people sware by the 2600's. Personally they didn't even give me a hard on, but once you learn the ropes, again - deep rabbit hole.

For bread and butter sounds, the Motif, Kurzweil, and Fantom are my favs. I like the piano on the Fantom X better than my Yamaha P250 digital piano.

Here's what you'll run into. After you learn a workstation inside out, you learn what the strengths and weaknesses are. Then you find out some other workstation has strengths that your current workstation suffers from weakness. You continue the little cycle until you finally have all of them. It requires therapy after a little while. Oh, but you love each one as if it was your b*tch. Ain't no love like the kind you give your gear. :) j/k

Keep it sane and play the game.

Muzakal

thanks for your insight muzakal. let me ask you, would you get a used triton studio on ebay for about $1900, a brand new triton extreme, or the new fantom x? does the triton studio blow everything away regardless? by the way, it sounds like you get any and everything you want as far as equipment as soon as it comes out(you lucky s.o.b. :^) ). if you don't mind me asking, are you making a living using your equipment and if so, what do you do? i only ask because i am about to rejoin the ranks of producers out there after a couple years off want to do this for real. what can a local guy do to make at least some steady money at this? i recall several guys from my hometown spending nice bucks on equipment, putting out cds, but never really making a decent money - EVER! do most guys on this board have real ways of making money at this, or is most everybody here just doing their thing and hoping to someday blowup? i will be doing this regardless because music is just in me and i love trying to be creative with tracks. many guys would sell tracks to local artists for $50-$150 bucks, but that's where the money stops because as you know, next to none of the local artist in any given hometown ever really go anywhere or are serious enough(not to mention wise or creative enough) to make it really happen no matter what kind of music they do. just looking for some guidance and how you might be making it happen. anyone else feel free to chime in, also.

The specs on that PHANTOM X are looking mighty damn sick compared to the other workstations. I was all about seeing a ES before the year was over but now the X is just taking it and the TRITONS don't even weigh in. I just don't think I could spend 2+ grand on anything else... Lookk at the specs.... When I look at what else is around for like 1500 to 2500 the damn PHANTOM X is like just twice the beat box. All I know is i'm thinking about copping.......

I'm thinking like you Lazi - everyday I feel closer to dropping those dollars for the Fantom X. Now I just have to decide on getting the 76 key or 88 key weighted. I'm nobody's piano player(yet), so not sure how much the weighted keys will matter for me, but they damn sure feel nice. By the way, Rik's has each of the X series boards for $300 less than anyone else. I would imagine you can give the other big boy stores Rik's quote and make them match it.

Back