rm1x,, i want somthin different

tj jr.

i got an rm1x and its ok compared to the older drum machine i had,,, if i sold it,, what would be the best thing to get for under 1000.00. a sampler ? or another drum machine? or what?? i feel cheated with the rm1x.
and can you quantize with a sampler that you use as a drum machine?? like you can with a drum machine??

I would say a sampler. With a sampler you can make your own sound patches and drum kits. It just takes a little programing know how.

I have the Akia S2000 and I use it religiously for drums. Yes you can quantize and do just about anything else you can do with a module, but basic fx's(reverb, chorus, ect) cost extra.

how do you use a rack mount sampler like the s2000??
do you have an external keyboard ?? what do you do ?.
is there a set of buttons on the front of it that you can "play" with.?
thankz

tj

Hi tj,

The thing about the rm1x is that its really a sequencer plain and simple. If you sell it youll want to get a sequencer thats combined with a sampler, or use sequencing software. If you just want a sampler hold on to the rm1x and get a used s3000 off digibid.
http://www.digibid.com/list/browseItems.cfm?Category_ID=99&ActionType=open .Or check out emu's esi 2000 sampler wich yoiu can get for under $600 new.

None of those samplers are my auctions, but some look interesting. Personally Id love to have either a yamaha a4000, a emu e5000ultra or an akai s5000. These are all samplers so they need to have sounds loaded into them off cd's or of your own creation. For affordable samplers check out the emu esi 2000, the yamaha a3000 or the akai s2000 and s3000(wich are always being auctioned now that the s5000 has been released). Id rather have an emu esi2000 than an akai s2000, infact I do have an esi 2000;)

The mpc2000 is unique in that its a combination of sequencer and sampler with pads to hit on for sounds and lots of great sequencing features. The other samplers would require a keyboad to trigger wich you should have anyways, and also theyd still need a sequencer.

I should warn that the price of getting a sampler going isnt always cheep. Besides buying the box youll want a storage drive, a cd rom, an scsi card for you computer to transfer to a sample editing program. Then youll want some sample cd's to get yourself started. Some samplers come with lots of sound cd's some come with none.

ok,, im sold on the idea of a sampler.. I want to use it like a drum machine and trigger the sounds with my rm1x. Can this be done with the sounds in the rm1x at the same time?? i mean can i make a nice looping beat with the sounds on the rm1x and maybe be using the bass drum from the sampler. Its hard to explain what i mean. and while im playing a looping beat,, can i take out sounds on the fly and put sounds in . like i can with the rm1x.? also,, ive been reading reveiws on the emu esi2000 like crazy. Most people say the output is very weak and that the sound s dont sound the same that they put in. did you find this to be true????
thanx in advance...
tj

Sorry, I havent compared the esi 2000 to other samplers in any hands on fashion to know how its output compares. As for things coming out different then they go in, Id say thats not a problem anymore than with other recorded mediums, akais are more crisp emus are warmer. The esi 2000 is really old tech it dates back to 1997 and Id guess some of its technology is before that. I cant give you any definitive answer on what to get except to say that I am definately not regretting getting it instead of an s2000. The s3000 would be grerat for drums though with its 8 outputs. The esi has its upgrade for outputs the turbo expansion as well. On some reviews at some sites people are just stupid, especially with sampler. Almost every variety out there gets bad reviews simply because people are new to sampling and dont understand their machines.

If you want to read actual good reviews and ask questions at a forum where people know their shit check this site:
www.sonicstate.com
I find its reviews and forums more helpful than harmony central. Their forums www.the-gas-station.com are by far the best place to ask synth questions that Ive found.People there seem to know their shit.

also theres:
www.vintagesynth.com
this site has lots of great info

The esi 2000 also comes with 2 sound cd's one of them being the protozoa wich has all the sounds of emu's proteus 1,2,3, plantet phatt, orbit and vintage keys modules.

And yes you could still use the sounds in your rm1x with the esi. And if its easier you could also sample them into the esi if theres any strange reason to do that., Also consider assembling a dedicated cpu and using software for your synthesis and sampling. Programs like reaktor, vaz modulator, orion, reason, and gigasampler also halion can give variety thats hard to get with synth hardware unless your a rich man. Im going to get an imac and dedicate it to reaktor and also as a tag team with my g4 for wird experiments such as with metasynth.

Back