http://www.mercurywaters.com
http://www.rockthespot.com
http://www.neblinarecords.com
http://www.kick-a-verse.com
http://www.weareomniverse.com

Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiight,

Here are the vitals:

1. You will be remixing Mercury Waters', "Pavement Pain"
2. All the vocal tracks are provided seperately with only compression on them. Add your own effects as

needed
3. YOU MUST LEAVE A 16 BAR SPACE FOR K-HILL TO ADD ANOTHER VERSE TO THE WINNING

ENTRY

4. I ain't giving you the BPM, don't ask
5. Download the remix pack

HERE which includes all the

vocal tracks as well as the original song
6. Do whatever you feel. Have fun and send all entries to mercurywaters@gmail.com by 6/20/05
7. The winner will be chosen by myself, k hill, and whyOS, the original producer
8. May be a prize, May not be. I'll at least hit the winner with some free cd's or something.....SO THIS ONE

IS FOR THE GLORY!!!!

I'll give it a go. Spare time is sparse for the time being, but I think I can find some time to give it a shot. Can't guarantee a great result though, it ain't my style but I'm all about new challenges so why not...pluss I can never get enough publicity.

-Nito

alright y'all. first i want to thank all the contests who entered. everybody came with a different take. a lot of heat in there. here is your final line up of contestants:

-agent smith
-face valyou
-pedro motta
-dj OH Ten
-j beatz
-freakwncy
-jagga
-tone(nitepeople)
-john beans
-primus luta
-short fuze
-the ologist (better beat bureau)
-godzilla killa kahn
-mikee and whizzla
-dj encore
-casper
-mattnice
-chedda
-lex
-jumpin joe

the jury is now deliberating. we shall return soon with the top 5 and some comments on everybody's remixes. in the meantime.....listen to all the entries here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/neblinaemceebattles_music.htm

CHEDDA IS THE WINNER!!!!!!!!

Here's is how it all broke down:

key:

1st place- 5points
2nd place- 4points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2points
5th place- 1 point

Results:

chedda - 9 points
tone- 8 points
Oologist - 7 points
Dj encore - 7 points
craig rip- 5 points
jbeatz- 3 points
pedro motta- 2points
freakwncy- 1point

K hill's picks

1. craig rip
2. oologist
3. jbeatz
4. dj encore
5. chedda

WhyOs' picks

1. DJ Encore
2. Tone
3. Chedda
4. casper
5. oologist

Honorable mentions – Sygma

Merc's picks

1. chedda
2. tone
3. Oologist
4. pedro motta
5. freakwncy

Some of my thoughts on the entries:

-ran mecca- i love how you chopped up and rearranged the guitar sample. good vision with that. the mix as a whole

suffers though. the drums need more motion though. mainly more going on with the bass kick.

-malick macks- the beat is on the repetitive side. the vocals are out of place. could definitely use a dedicated bassline. the sample itself is dope though. the chorus sounds way off.

-shwaz- you and ozmosis went in the same direction with this. the beats sound very similar. yours is a little more polished though

-solace- this could have been a lot better. it definitely needs more elements to the beat, especially some bass. and the vocals are out of place.

-ozmosis- the beat itself is interesting. i don't think it really fits with the song very much. it's sort of a bright melancholy feel. lol. if that makes any sense. and the vocal mix on the chorus is off.

-sahota- a dope beat with a lot of emotion too it. the mix really kills a lot of the energy though. the vocals are off in some spots as well. i love the chorus.

-agent smith- i like this joint a lot. it has a good mixture of flavors. the vocal sample brightens up the feel of the track and the snare is unique with the breath sound on it. good bass. a good thick dancehall feel to it.

-face valyou- this is ill. good and grimey. good work with the effects on the vocals to give it a different feel. the chorus ends up feeling a little too busy though.

-pedro motta- i like the drum work on this one. maybe a little too hard lol, but solid regardless. the drum rolls and flutes on the chorus highlight the solitude of the song really well.

-dj OH Ten- this reminds me of early rza production. the mix is rough. the flute doesn't blend very well. it feels intrusive. this just comes off as okay to me. it doesn't standout.

-j beatz- the vocals are on beat but out of place on this. it still works for the most part though. you really notice the phrasing more towards the end. the beat is dope but a different style than i would usually go for. i like the feel of the chorus. the energy progression is dope

-freakwncy- the sound fx ended up a little loud on this, but you know that. you really put a different spin on the song. you made it travel homie. the drum work is simple, sparse and dope. just how i like it. lol. the vocals are rough in a few spots. thats the main thing that made this remix lose points. the vocals weren't on point from beginning to end.

-jagga- another different phrasing of the vocals. this is a dope beat. the first beat change seems forced. the second is a lot better and smooth. the vocals are out of tune with the beat on the chorus. it might have been better to leave them off like mostly everybody did.(i wish more of you would have gotten them in key. lol. of course thats partially the fault of my non-singing ass. lol)

-tone(nitepeople)- one of my favorites. i love the sample and the drum work. real good energy. the intro feels chaotic but once it all comes together its tight. and the chorus is in KEY!!

-john beans- not really i like a lot about this one. you just flipped the sample from the original song and didn't do much different with it. the drums are overdone. the chorus sounds off. the whole thing feels hectic. no structure

-primus luta- i like how you really took the song and made it your own. but this isn't really my type of track. too many synths for me, but it's still dope regardless. can't fault you too much cause i'm personally not a fan of the style.

-short fuze- the beat is dope but feels empty in some spots between the chops. needs more to fill it up. and you took a risk putting my high vocals up so loud on the chorus. it didn't come off that well.

-the ologist (better beat bureau)- another one of my favorites. it really has a good feel to it that matches the original feeling of the track. i really like the beat, in and of itself.

-godzilla killa kahn- the drums feel good as hell with the lyrics on this one. the other elements of the beat give me an evil feel that doesn't match as well with the song to me. the lyrics slide off beat a litte after the first verse as well

-mikee and whizzla- this was a tough one. you really tried to take it some place else. the lyrics aren't riding the beat well enough. i think the rhythm of the original is too different from what you've built. this would really be special if the vocals sat better in the groove. besides this is a dope beat.

-dj encore- a very dope beat that doesn't fit that well with the song conceptually. i think that was the key to remixing this song. you couldn't just throw a dope beat behind it. it really had to match the feel, energy and concept of the lyrics and
flow.

-casper- this is pretty dope here. i'm not a big synth beat lover but this joint feels right. you did a good job layering sounds and building a good melody.

-mattnice- this works on some level for some reason. don't know why. lol. i wouldn't think this beat would work but it did. good work matt.

-chedda- this was one of my early favorites. always leave it to chedda to match the feel of a song. you got a talent for that homie. its in key. just feels good. nice effects.

-lex- the vocals are mad low. the mix is really killing this remix. i like the way the chorus ended up being phrased.

-jumpin joe- this feels empty. it needs more to it. a real good basis to build from though. the chords and bass give it more of a r&b feel.

-sygma- i'm loving the drums on this. it fits the feel beautiful. i think i just wanted to hear more going with the melody. more layers and complexity

-craig rip- i think this beat is dope, but doesn't connect well with the tone of the track. i think the feel of the song is darker than the beat

Back