recommended db levels for instruments?

Barrage NP

anyone know of any charts that can tell where each instrument usually lies in a radio song, I know it depends on the song, and there r no rules only guidlines. But, I'm havin a hell of a time, getting vocals to sit in the mix nicely. Any tips would be appreciated. as well as levels to set the instruments at.

like snare,kick,piano,guitar,string. and vocals.

THE ART OF MIXING BY DAVID GIBSON THE BEST 40 BUCS I EVER SPENT CHECK AMAZON EBAY AND ANY OTHER BOOKSTORE

Are you talking about tracking or mixing down? Tracking is pretty simple, record as hot as you can. Mixing is another ball of wax.

I'm not sure there is chart out there with "recommended db levels" for mixing, however, if you find one let me know.

Since you mentioned having problems with tracks sitting right, you may want to experiment with panning and EQ. I do have some reference charts for those that I can upload when I get home from the studio if you'd like.

Drop a line back here if you're interested.

Stray

ya stray, i'm interested.

i'm also using renaissance plugins if anyone has eqing or compression tips for that, it would be cool.

I just usually go wit the presets in it and tweak alittle. But any tips for vox would be cool.

Alright, here it is everybody, a variety of useful tips for you.

DESCRIPTION OF TIPS.ZIP

Balance Chart.doc - A panning reference chart I put up here a few weeks ago. So this is for those that missed that one.

Compression Tips.doc - Some good compression info. Barrage this may help you out.

Frequency Uses.doc - This actually came from someone on this board I think. Great reference chart for typical frequency uses.

General Mixing Tips.doc - Some general mixing tips and tips specific to drums and bass.

PC Performance.doc - This has been on the site before too. Just some adjustments you can make to your OS to help your PC handle audio better.

Hope this helps.

Stray

Attachments

• tips.zip
    25 KB · Views: 154
I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, but is there anyway u can put that file into another type. I'm on a mac, and I can't use zip files, like a pdf or somethin. Or anyone else who can convert it for me.

thanks if u can do this.

Barrage,

I only have Acrobat Reader unfortunately. What about an HTML file? I can't upload it here, but I can e-mail it to you.

Let me if know that works for you and leave your addy here or PM with it.

If someone else could make a PDF though, please do.

Stray

heres my email, psyfa_99@yahoo.com
hopefully the html thing will work.

thanks.

on a side note, I was browsing threw sample cd snippets on soundsonline, in the classical section, and the first sample I play happened to be tela's and devin's song, leave these drugs alone. I guess the producer for the album did what I did, and just looked for samples in the free mp3 demo.

Barrage, Sorry it took so long, but you've got mail.

Richie, Glad to help.

ATTN: Anybody have Acrobat and 5 minutes to help us out?

Stray

I just realized that the COMPRESSION TIPS document is missing half a page. The tips that are left are mostly for mastering, not for individual tracks. I'll upload the other half if/when I find it.

Last edited:
Yo I got acrobat what doyou want me to do?

BTW I still got those documents u sent me if it was one of them that's missing half the document.

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, but is there anyway u can put that file into another type. I'm on a mac, and I can't use zip files, like a pdf or somethin. Or anyone else who can convert it for me.

thanks if u can do this.

you retard... macs use zip files natively... and also use doc files natively... conversion is completely unneccessary... your just illiterate... Macs generally use Stuffit to unzip most archive types... but zip is done natively without even downloading an application using its built in zip program called "archive utility"

you retard... macs use zip files natively... and also use doc files natively... conversion is completely unneccessary... your just illiterate... Macs generally use Stuffit to unzip most archive types... but zip is done natively without even downloading an application using its built in zip program called "archive utility"

Since you're new, I'll just say that it's better to remain a fool in silence rather than to speak prematurely and advertise it to everyone.

...that post you were talking about was over 5 years ago :eek:

Have a nice day,
Fiev

anyone know of any charts that can tell where each instrument usually lies in a radio song, I know it depends on the song, and there r no rules only guidlines. But, I'm havin a hell of a time, getting vocals to sit in the mix nicely. Any tips would be appreciated. as well as levels to set the instruments at.

like snare,kick,piano,guitar,string. and vocals.

For kick..try cutting some eq at 80hz off the bass.
If you can get Izotope ozone, in the eq section it shows where in the frequencie band a instument is laying..that way you can cut some freq. that are battleing with the vox.
Hope this helps!!

Back