Reason users, please help. :)

Re-Lapse

Probably the wrong place to put this, but I figured there's lots of people here that use it so I'll ask the question.

I'd like to use Reason 3.0, instead of Fruity Loops, just to try something different. But, the fact of the matter is, I don't have a midi keyboard to hook up to it, to get it to let me make my melodies, and what not. So, I was curious, is there any way I can get it to work the same way I do with Fruity Loops, I use my typing keyboard as a midi keyboard. aka, I push "a" for a low tone, and "p" for a high tone. Either way, I need to know if there is a way I can do this, so I can try and use Reason.

Thanks in advance!

:D

--Re-Lapse

never tried to do it but am sure you can do it through the 'matrix pattern sequencer' read a tutorial on it or something

actually...

yeah u can do it like that, on the propellerhreads website in the downloads section there is such a plugin for your reason software so u can use ur keyboard as a keyboard lol, i should kno caus i used to do it lol

never tried that myself, but I would invest in a small midi keyboard....good investment that won't steer you wrong.

UGMastermind said:
no i don't think you can do that, but you can manually enter in melodies something like the piano roll.

Ahh...

RafagasMusic said:
never tried to do it but am sure you can do it through the 'matrix pattern sequencer' read a tutorial on it or something

I'll check that out...

rnb259 said:
yeah u can do it like that, on the propellerhreads website in the downloads section there is such a plugin for your reason software so u can use ur keyboard as a keyboard lol, i should kno caus i used to do it lol

Ah.. I'll check their website, never thought of that. Do you have a specific name for it?

Fieva said:
never tried that myself, but I would invest in a small midi keyboard....good investment that won't steer you wrong.

I have a MIDI Keyboard, just no MIDI Cable, or MIDI Port on my PC. My MIDI Keyboard is oldschool, but I mean it'd get the job done if I could effeciently use it. Since I don't have a job right now, and I'm broke as a joke, and I'm moving my girlfriend up here, 5 hours away, so thats 5 hours there, 5 hours back, and then back down again for her graduation. Yeah, and Gas at 3.12 a gallon, it's difficult. Especially when I have $200.00 to my name, for all that. Otherwise I'd buy a better one.

I'll look into a MIDI Cable, would a USB Midi be fine?

--Re-Lapse

P.S. Thanks for the responses, I'll check 'em all out and see what I can do.

UGMastermind said:
Yeah usb works fine in reason.

I use an USB midi cable with my Yamaha and it's works perfect. I also use the USB that came with the Oxygen 8 which is cool too! You can use reason the other ways stated. But I can tell you this, to get the maximum out of using reason, you're better off using midi, that is it's whole purpose.
What kind of Keyboard do you have? I have a couple of old USB midi cables laying around, I'll see if I have one compatible to your keyboard!

I just wasn't sure if your keyboard had midi or not....either midi or usb works fine in reason as many have said. Actually if you have usb and reason can detect it, it might catch all the knobs and faders associated with it too.

Fiev.

Trumpspade said:
I use an USB midi cable with my Yamaha and it's works perfect. I also use the USB that came with the Oxygen 8 which is cool too! You can use reason the other ways stated. But I can tell you this, to get the maximum out of using reason, you're better off using midi, that is it's whole purpose.
What kind of Keyboard do you have? I have a couple of old USB midi cables laying around, I'll see if I have one compatible to your keyboard!

Optimus MD1200, if I remember correctly.

If you have one spare for cheap, let me know! :)

Thanks for all the help.

--Re-Lapse

Fieva said:
I just wasn't sure if your keyboard had midi or not....either midi or usb works fine in reason as many have said. Actually if you have usb and reason can detect it, it might catch all the knobs and faders associated with it too.

Fiev.

Yea, it's got MIDI, it's just not anywhere near the quality I need, but it has some good samples on it that I can make some tight beats with. Hopefully anyway, let me know where I should buy one, if I have to.

Thanks again.

--Re-Lapse

P.S. - Also, the versatility would be amazing, cus I'd use it in FL Studio too, which I'm more familiar with to begin with...

Re-Lapse said:
Optimus MD1200, if I remember correctly.

If you have one spare for cheap, let me know! :)

Thanks for all the help.

--Re-Lapse

I'll take a look around. I come across alot of things in my box, so I won't suprised. If I find something, I'll PM you......If I have something, not too expensive, that I don't use, I'll give it away.....It serves me no purpose holding on to it, and a few dollars won't make me rich! :D

Re-Lapse said:
Yea, it's got MIDI, it's just not anywhere near the quality I need, but it has some good samples on it that I can make some tight beats with. Hopefully anyway, let me know where I should buy one, if I have to.

Thanks again.

--Re-Lapse

P.S. - Also, the versatility would be amazing, cus I'd use it in FL Studio too, which I'm more familiar with to begin with...

When your using MIDI, the keyboard becomes a controller, to control sounds found on Reason. The quality of samples on your keyboard itself, doesn't need to apply now. Just have some good sounds loaded in reason, and pound away. Same in FL.

Trumpspade said:
I'll take a look around. I come across alot of things in my box, so I won't suprised. If I find something, I'll PM you......If I have something, not too expensive, that I don't use, I'll give it away.....It serves me no purpose holding on to it, and a few dollars won't make me rich! :D

Sounds good, Thanks a bunch! :)

--Re-Lapse

Mindset said:
When your using MIDI, the keyboard becomes a controller, to control sounds found on Reason. The quality of samples on your keyboard itself, doesn't need to apply now. Just have some good sounds loaded in reason, and pound away. Same in FL.

Sounds good to me. :)

--Re-Lapse

If you have a midi keyboard all you need is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Best-USB-cable-...1QQihZ010QQcategoryZ23783QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

USB to pc interfaces are really cheap. You don't need to buy an expensive midi controller. Once you have it installed correctly it will show up as a midi in/out device in reason, then you can use your existing keyboard to control the nnxt, nn19, subtractor, and malstrom. There are tons of add-ons for reason... as far as sounds go... I love using reason... i have made it a main part of my sound production, along with protools.

demi

dnkygirl said:
If you have a midi keyboard all you need is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Best-USB-cable-...1QQihZ010QQcategoryZ23783QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

USB to pc interfaces are really cheap. You don't need to buy an expensive midi controller. Once you have it installed correctly it will show up as a midi in/out device in reason, then you can use your existing keyboard to control the nnxt, nn19, subtractor, and malstrom. There are tons of add-ons for reason... as far as sounds go... I love using reason... i have made it a main part of my sound production, along with protools.

demi

Yeah, see, I know that much. The problem is, I'm broke and I can't afford a MIDI-2-USB, so I was hoping I could find a way around it by using my "typing keyboard" to make the melodies, like I can in FL Studio. Reason is more versatile than FL Studio, and I'd like to fully switch if at all possible. But, being broke, it's not possible right now. :)

Thanks for the advice, and input, though.

--Re-Lapse

i think it's best to use reason rewired into fl cuz reasons sequencer doesn't compare to fl IMO but yea a midi cable is like 7.00 at radio shack thas where i got mines

DesertEase said:
i think it's best to use reason rewired into fl cuz reasons sequencer doesn't compare to fl IMO but yea a midi cable is like 7.00 at radio shack thas where i got mines

haha, I'll check the rewired out, I jut found that yesturday, haven't used it yet though.

--Re-Lapse

I use reason rewired into Pro Tools. With that, I then can use certain sounds from reason, BFD for some drums, and some VST instruments in it...

I'm currently uploading whole bunch of refill kits and will post em up for yall to download freely.

Back